Hello There

Hello,

Hope everybody is well or at least as well as they can be.

I'm Windscale, I'm in my late 40s and was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome last year.  I decided to go for a diagnosis after trying to work out why I kept having so many problems at work and suffering from repeat depression etc.  I've come to the conclusion that I need to change what I'm doing in terms of work because my current career is not good for me.  I'm good at it and when I'm feeling fine it isn't an issue, but my job has a large amount of "people stuff" which I find draining and it can get too much for me.  I guess I'm at that phase where I've realised I need to re-evaluate what I'm currently doing and then try and work out how I get to place where I feel less pressured and that I'm making a positive contribution whilst still getting paid enough to be ok.

I'm interested in mathematics/computer science and have considered teaching as a possible alternative career, but I think I would find the workload of teaching in a school too much.  Also I don't think I'd like the "cat herding" aspect of it either!  What I'm really interested in is finding ways to help adults who struggled with mathematics at school make a successful second attempt at it and maybe turn round their "maths anxiety/maths loathing."

I have a partner who I met at University who got her Asperger's diagnosis a fortnight ago.

Parents Reply Children