Employment adult aspergers

My son is 27 . He needs help to find work .he is very intelligent. He has degree in history and politics .He has applied for so many  jobs   thanks

• There are some things you can access for advice such as:

• Prospects: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ 

• National Careers Service: 

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/ (You can be allocated a Careers Adviser who may be able to help);

• Your local council might have a supported employment scheme for disabled applicants:

Hopefully, a local careers advisor can put you in the right direction (there is some much information out there that makes trying to find out what to do really confusing). 

• I can identify and emphasize with you.

I was dismissed from my last job after 5 months for a variety of reasons.

Firstly I was still within a six month probationary period so it was easier to get rid of me.

I didn't mention autism until my dismissal hearing to explain my unusual and unorthodox behaviour.

Their reasons for letting  me go were:

1. Unusual & unorthodox behaviour.
    2. Not being a team player & not trusted to work unsupervised.
    3. Not taking up certain help and support that was made available to me.
    4. Accepting other help and support that was available.   And the COST of providing the help and support.

At the hearing it was obvious that my direct  managers and the HR representative were desperate to get rid of me.

• Hi, I am a 23 year old female nearly 24. And I am having so much trouble trying to find an apprenticeship/trainingship or part time job. A few years back I qualified for a level 3 childcare practitioner, I went for my first job and got it but after half a day I had a melt down and that’s how I ended up on the sick. I think I have been on the sick for 3 years now and have been browsing apprenticeships etc. However, I felt like I would enjoy my career with children anymore (yeah I know what a waste of three years of my life lol). I now looking to work with animals as they keep me happy and content. I have looked everywhere but there is nowhere. And if there is something, it is too far away (I don’t drive and rely on public transport)

I have been reading all the comments and I realise that other people just like myself are struggling too. I will look into the DEA as I have never heard of them, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips for me. I am VERY passionate about animals and I donate to the WWF monthly. I already tried volunteering but didn’t enjoy it as I was just with cats (and I have a cat at home). I couldn’t be with the dogs as they were abused dogs so your needed certain training. Apart from that I have no clue x

• That’s horrible, I’m sorry your facing this type of discrimination. Normally, at the application/job interview stage, the only thing that should be discussed is whether you need any reasonable adjustments for the interview. The employer is not allowed to ask health questions unless it is to find out if you can undertake an intrinsic task (employers need to be careful on this). If an applicant volunteers health information then it should not be considered unless it affects an intrinsic task. 

Should you be successful, then disclosure of diagnosis can be made as part of a health check. If you feel that you have been discriminated against, consider seeking advice such as from ACAS, Disabilty Law Service, Trade Union, CAB or legal representative (I can only add really general guidance on this response).

The following articles might be of help: 

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/legal-qa-what-health-questions-can-employers-ask-during-the-recruitment-process/ 

http://www.shoosmiths.co.uk/client-resources/legal-updates/Job-applicants-health-Can-employers-ask-about-it-4691.aspx 

I hope things work out for you.

• I'm so sorry to hear that.  I can understand your frustration and I can totally empathise with you as my son is struggling to find employment too.  What can I say but, keep trying.  I'm sure someone out there will recognise that you have the skills and attributes to make a loyal, hardworking and committed employee.  Frankly, if I had a business I would too discriminate, but for autism as people with ASD have so much to offer.   Maybe next time you could try not mentioning your autism.  I'm sure there's no law that says you have to disclose your ASD.   It's just a thought.

• I’m trying to get another job but can’t every time I mention about autism they back off I’m 47 I’m thinking about giving up 

• Thank you Emma!  I will look into M & S apprenticeships.  Didn't think of that one.  Also, it seems a general consensus of opinion that the ESA Employment Adivsor would be a good route to take for employment.  Everyone is so supportive here, I wish I'd known about this community sooner!!  Mina

• Thank you for your reply.   Unfortunately, Remploy no longer exists.  Good suggestions though so I will have a chat to my son.  Mina

• Hi Mina - Your son pesumably did the two weeks training with Marks and Spencer and enjoyed what he did, so much so, he only wants to work there.  I am pleased to hear that Remploy are still going after their funding was cut years ago, as they were then employing hundreds handicapped people giving them a constant social environment.althouh on special low pay. While your son may not have any "friends",  in a friendly environment, people will like and be friendly with your son., even it is just in passing and remember him next time they see him.. If M & S tick all his boxes. I presume you may have already written and thanked M & S and Remploy and perhapse have enquired if it can be repeated. I personally would not trust any apprenticeship, for the lowest paid jobs, it is just a mechanism for the employer to obtain grants when they finish so does the job and the next person with the attached grant fills the place and so on.   He might like to do a local paper round. My son did one weekly, more as occupational Therapy, with Two Carers, or Mum and Dad, the use of the Car for 174 papers after putting in inserts can be extremely heavy and fill a car boot, getting about £10 was subsidising the Printers and taking half a day for years, it was enjoyable, but you don't meet many people. We gave it up in  the end.   

Avoid the Wharehouse Jobs such as I read about where "normal" people are exploited, or farms or agriculture which can also be dangerous especially the handicapped.near machinery. or vehicles. . 

• Hi Mina,

Apologies for the delayed response; I've been quite literally off the grid! (3 days wild camping)

If your son is already on ESA I would suggest not rocking the boat in that regard and doing some retail-related volunteering while he looks for a suitable job or apprenticeship. This would keep him in good practice re. working with the public in a retail setting, build further confidence and show potential employers/apprenticeship providers that he is capable and committed. 

Re. Apprenticeships, they do not have to be ASD specific. As long as your son is open about the accommodations he would need to access the apprenticeship as easily as a non-autistic person they should be happy to provide them (in fact they have to, as per the equality act). M&S even do their own apprenticeships, which may well be worth looking in to.

If you still want something tailored to ASD, the NAS have their own services dedicated to helping autistic adults in the workplace or seeking work.
    https://www.autism.org.uk/services/work/work-search.aspx

Hope that helps,

Emma

• Your son is not in an uncommon position with only 15% on the spectrum in full time employment. It sounds like that your some may have had some rejection which won’t help. I totally agree with Emma’s comment that speaking to a Disability Employment Advisor is a good step. Depending on how long ago your Son graduated from University, he may still be able to access the Career support service. There any also be local initiatives in your area.

Best wishes to your son in his Job Search.

• Hi Emma, I clicked on the link and there are no offices in the Liverpool area.  I clicked on the Manchester one and it said that the page did not exist.   I would love to find a local ASD friendly service to support my son into employment.  Thanks.  Mina

• Hi Emma, my name is Mina and I have a 23 year old son on the ASD spectrum who is unemployed.  He achieved Level 2 in Customer Support and is adamant that he wants to only work in Marks and Spencer.  He had a two week placement  through Remploy and did very well, lots of positives but needed to go away and work on his confidence.  He has done this but really don't know what to do next.  He is on ESA and still receives DLA so would it be best to go through the job centre?  I'm not sure he could cope with full time hours but, part-time, about 12 hours should be ok.   Also, I know he is putting all his eggs in one basket but I was wondering whether there are any apprenticeships in retail for those on the ASD spectrum.   I really am concerned about him as he suffers from severe stress and anxiety.  He has no friends although he is very sociable and likes to go out and has never had a girlfriend.   Anyway that's a short summary of his situation so any advice would be brilliant.  Thank you.   Mina

• Hi there, 

Is your son using the job centre? If so make sure you ask for a DEA (disability employment advisor); mine was great. They never seem to make it obvious that they exist, though- I only knew about them because my mum worked at the DWP.

What are the problems he is having, specifically? Is it applications, interviews, getting experience? 

The NAS has support services aimed at autistic adults who wish to find work but are having difficulty. https://www.autism.org.uk/services/work/work-search.aspx Do any of these look useful?