Gp refused to refer?

Hi all I'm new here and am waiting for a diagnosis. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problems I experienced getting to this stage. 

I went to see my gp armed with a printout of the baron-cohen Aspergers test (scored 42/50). And told my gp I wanted to be referred. I was then told 'the NHS don't refer adults' (I am 37). I argued my point and told her that my suspicions of possibly having some form of autism were affecting my work and home life. She read through my test results and agreed to refer me although said that it may be rejected due to my age.  This was 3 months ago. I have been chasing this on a regular basis and have been told numerous times that everything is fine and the referral has been made only to now find out it has gone to the wrong service and now has to start all over again. Have anyone else come across barriers from the NHS?

Parents
  • Hi Carly, I used to work in the NHS and it’s not unusual for referrals to go astray or to the wrong departments etc. I guess it’s run by humans so there will always be mistakes and seeing as how the medical profession is the biggest cause of early death, I guess they don’t do that many audits etc to see where they can do better, so mistakes continue to be made. You could be waiting another couple of years, depending on how the service is run in your area so I wouldn’t be holding my breath just yet. Most of the people working in the NHS do their best but yeah, mistakes still happen. Well done you for standing your ground though and getting the referral, there have been people on here who have been refused a referral. 

• Thanks for your reply blueray. I work for the dwp so can more then appreciate human error!!! Just so worried that it was rejected which is why it was sent to the other service. I will push on with it though and if it is rejected I'm sure there is somewhere I can go to appeal it. 

• Thanks for your reply blueray. I work for the dwp so can more then appreciate human error!!! Just so worried that it was rejected which is why it was sent to the other service. I will push on with it though and if it is rejected I'm sure there is somewhere I can go to appeal it. 

Children
  • It won’t get rejected, with your drive, you won’t allow that - just keep on doing what you’re doing (keeping on top of it) and your assessment date will be here before you know it :) 

Yeah, human error will always occur and until the nhs get a grip and start being accountable for their mistakes, unfortunately the mistakes will continue aplenty. It is said that in America, the medical profession kill more than one million people a year ~ can you imagine how many people would catch a flight if an airline had the same record!

But you’ll be fine because you’re in charge, you’re the boss and you’re not gonna let them not do what they are legally obliged to do. Just be prepared for a wait and like mine, it will probably happen much quicker than expected.