Saying Hello

Hello all, my name is Neil, and I have just been -informally- diagnosed as autistic by my doctor, a psychiatrist, who I have just started to see.

With a history of episodes of depression dating back to the beginning of adulthood, I have taken a lot of medication to control the condition, with varying degrees of success.

However this psychiatrist believes that it will be possible to resolve the depression, and come off the medication, now that we know that this is the cause - quite a claim if true!

While I am naturally a little cautious to take what he says at face value as being 100% true (people can so often be optimistic can't they?), and I don't know yet what specific treatment he has in mind for me, I am sufficiently motivated to start finding out about autism from fellow "sufferers".

Notice I have placed the word "sufferers" in quotes, because I don't know yet whether autism is a thing that (on average) does cause people harm. Indeed the doctor said that there are some with the condition who become very successful in life because they are able to channel their autistic "interests" into an obsession that allows them to excel at work or in other areas of life.

In my case, being so diagnosed could perhaps improve my mental health because knowing the cause of aspects of my personality, and knowing that they result from a deficiency I have no control over, means I no longer have a reason to criticize myself, with the concomitant negative emotional impact that results (the depression). Indeed in our first meeting, the doctor explained something along these lines in some detail - but I didn't take it in properly as I was quite anxious at the time - I shall have to ask him to repeat his ideas to me when we meet next.

So a couple of questions:

1. Have any of you found that receiving a diagnosis of autism has improved your mental health at all, for the reasons I have stated above, and

2. Has the diagnosis of autism led you to change the way in which you have tried to evaluate your own skills and abilities, in order to offer a better contribution to whatever you feel you want to achieve in life?

Finally, if autism is a bad thing, then, in my experience, like the nettle in the forest, there are always the dock leaves to take at least some of the sting away.

Parents
  • Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience it is greatly appreciated. In response to some of your questions starting with the diagnosis.

I found that being diagnosed a couple of years ago really insightful and the more help and support received. I have developed more in sync or touch with my mental health. For those, who don't know I am also diagnosed with bipolar disorder and OCD.  I have a better outlook on life now than I ever did before.

Not just talking about my aliments but also coming to terms with the process, ongoing help and support and just accepting it. Yes, it is a part of me but overall it doesn't reflect me as a whole. I owe it to myself (not for others) that I am a 'somebody' or I am 'worth it'. 

In relation to the lead up of being diagnosed with autism. It has encouraged me to try new things as I had to realise as much as I am comfortable doing the same thing; I realised I have to explore different things in life to make myself more involved or included in other areas which I hadn't experienced. For me, it was about making small changes and seizing the opportunity when possible.

At the same time, I told myself that I am not going to let my condition hold me back or stop me. I had to show that I am worth my weight in gold. I feel as though I have done myself reasonably well with volunteering with local communities with an elderly care or young people setting.

Sometimes, the nerves do get the better of you but that is what makes us human beings. It is natural to feel anxious in unfamiliar situations. From my perspective, I wouldn't say autism is a bad thing if anything it has given me clarity, hope and a sense of determination and willingness to pursue my dreams and ultimately make the fantasy into a reality.

I always had the 'talks' because I have autism that I would just have to settle for less and things wouldn't proceed further. In turn, I was led to believe that I wouldn't have a decent life or those little things some people take for granted. There will be times where things don't go to plan. On the other hand, things aren't always as bad as it seems at first. It does take persistence, time, courage, patience amongst other numerous things.

There is nothing you can't do in life. As an autistic person, I had to take ownership of that and realise if things can work with those are non-autistic...then why can't it apply to someone who is autistic. Yes, there will have to be adjustments or changes put in place.

I hope that you have found this useful and I appreciate (as do others) for taking the time to share your moment.

• Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience it is greatly appreciated. In response to some of your questions starting with the diagnosis.

I found that being diagnosed a couple of years ago really insightful and the more help and support received. I have developed more in sync or touch with my mental health. For those, who don't know I am also diagnosed with bipolar disorder and OCD.  I have a better outlook on life now than I ever did before.

Not just talking about my aliments but also coming to terms with the process, ongoing help and support and just accepting it. Yes, it is a part of me but overall it doesn't reflect me as a whole. I owe it to myself (not for others) that I am a 'somebody' or I am 'worth it'. 

In relation to the lead up of being diagnosed with autism. It has encouraged me to try new things as I had to realise as much as I am comfortable doing the same thing; I realised I have to explore different things in life to make myself more involved or included in other areas which I hadn't experienced. For me, it was about making small changes and seizing the opportunity when possible.

At the same time, I told myself that I am not going to let my condition hold me back or stop me. I had to show that I am worth my weight in gold. I feel as though I have done myself reasonably well with volunteering with local communities with an elderly care or young people setting.

Sometimes, the nerves do get the better of you but that is what makes us human beings. It is natural to feel anxious in unfamiliar situations. From my perspective, I wouldn't say autism is a bad thing if anything it has given me clarity, hope and a sense of determination and willingness to pursue my dreams and ultimately make the fantasy into a reality.

I always had the 'talks' because I have autism that I would just have to settle for less and things wouldn't proceed further. In turn, I was led to believe that I wouldn't have a decent life or those little things some people take for granted. There will be times where things don't go to plan. On the other hand, things aren't always as bad as it seems at first. It does take persistence, time, courage, patience amongst other numerous things.

There is nothing you can't do in life. As an autistic person, I had to take ownership of that and realise if things can work with those are non-autistic...then why can't it apply to someone who is autistic. Yes, there will have to be adjustments or changes put in place.

I hope that you have found this useful and I appreciate (as do others) for taking the time to share your moment.

Children
  • Hi Otis,

I won't have anyone (as a member of the public) tell me that autism will hold me back. My attitude to setbacks has always to be to look at the opportunities that the problem inadvertently presents.
    What this does mean though, is that I need to do a lot of research, and put my thinking cap on to see how I can turn this into a positive.
    I am not working at the moment due to the depression, and my CV looks like a bomb has hit it. All I know is that I can't carry on working in computing in the conventional sense, as my psychiatrist thinks this is a major factor in my mental illness.

But overall the message you give is that a diagnosis of autism in mid-life has overall been of benefit to you. I'm very pleased to hear it, and find it an encouragement.

Thanks!