I think I may have autism...

I am I my early 20's and I think I may have undiagnosed autism. I have always found it really hard to make friends and meet new people. However, it has been noticed that I tend to quickly form relationships with autistic people and find it easier to communicate with them than other people do. I often feel anxious around new people and there are only ever a select few who I can be 'myself' around. I become very irritated with normal things such as needing to message people back constantly unless I am wanting to talk to them/about something specific and I find it very difficult to hang out with more than one friend at a time. I can become very attached to people and have an overwhelming need to know that they are safe but I don't deal with such behaviour in return. I tend to get upset easily, not always knowing why and I rarely understand sarcasm and think that people are just being mean.

Could this be autism? I have taken a few quizzes and I got 32 in the last one and it said to think about seeing a doctor if you scored over 31...

• There is possibility that you could have autism. But, I agree with the previous comment. Make sure you have a professional opinion and an assessment. Though, to you it may seem you fit the criteria or  traits. You will find that you would need to be seen by various professionals to come to an conclusion on whether you have autism or not. It might be worth getting seen by a GP, then getting referred and so on. I hope this helps.

• It  could well be, but please do have it properly tested by a professional. Before he or she tells you what actually is going on, don't tell any of them surrounding you, whether they be family, friends or colleagues.....as I sadly  and wrongly did....because you"ll then probably end up being more autistic than you actually are, if you know what I mean! People alas are by sheer nature apt to stigmatise blindly, whether they like you or not. Once you have the mark on your forehead, they'll have you one way or another. Films like Rainman and the like didn't do this potential much good either. Once the news is out in the open, it acts like a boomerang, banging you around the ears everytime again and often so when you least expect it. Worst case scenario: before you know it, you're seen as being totally void of all empathy, human kindness, love and whatever have you. You will be seen as perhaps one of those psychotic individuals who go wildly on the rampage killing people without feelings or remorse. Hence, my tip: try to share the knowledge as little as you can, keep it mostly to yourself.

And, now what if you turn out to be autistic? What of it? Does that mean your worth less, you're useless? Is that to say you're crazy? No it doesn't! It is to say you're different in many ways, but you are still human aren't you? We are all individuals, not a single person in this wretched world is just like the other, or thinks alike; we are all different...and ervery singel one of us, whether said to be autistic or not, has certain traits that could be interpreted as being autistic. Besides there are things more serious than being autistic, as there are conditions more detrimental to society and more hamful to oneself than autism.

Anyhow, did you ever consider the possibility of being no more than, for instance, depressed? See a professional as soon as possible!

Cheers,

Martin [removed by moderator*]

a.k.a. Catweazle of Saburac

*name removed by moderator to protect poster's privacy (see Community Rule 2)