Hello - Mother to 15 yr old with ASD

Hello everyone. I am Mum to a delightful 15 yr old son who has been diagnosed with ASD for the past several years. I am new to the NAS and am saying hello as my son is suffering more with anxiety Wave tone2he lead up to his exams and any advice is always welcome Wave tone2

Parents
  • Hi there, welcome to the forum and NAS community. My name is Otis, I was diagnosed aged 15. But, now just taking each day as it goes. Now a bit older, I suppose it has given me more awareness about the condition or a greater understanding. There is no guarantee that this might help but if your son is feeling anxious would it be worth listening to something calming or soothing e.g. mediation or relaxation music, or perhaps something like 'Mindfulness'?

Or a hobby that your son likes whether it is reading or writing...

I know there is a link for revision I think it was BBC Bitesize (www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize). That might be useful. Personally, I find breathing relaxes me. There are some YouTube videos on education e.g. exam tips. Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/). What might work for one person may not work for someone else.

I think one thing that is worth mentioning is to remind your son how cared, proud, loved amongst other attributes. After all, your son can only do so much. Be open and honest as you would in a way your son would understand.  I find that with me having support or those close to me (whether in person or on the phone) has been beneficial.

Thanks, for your brief introduction. I hope your son feels a bit better within himself and best of luck with his exams.

P.S your son should have additional time during the exam?

• Thanks so much for your reply Otis, you have given me some really interesting advice. I will discuss BBC bitesize with him and also look at your YouTube recommendations. Thank you

Reply Children
No Data