Adult female - told by counsellor to seek diagnosis but I'm not sure she is right or I would get a diagnosis very easily.

Hi all,

Been to 6 sessions with a counsellor/psychologist because I was struggling with health anxiety among other things affecting my general life. At the last session she advised she thought I was on the Autism Spectrum. I was not expecting this at all. I am really messed up now and unsure what to do.

I've done a number of online tests and they all show that I am close but not in the range of having ASD. I don't see the point of putting myself through trying to get a diagnosis if the chances are I will not pass the basic preliminary questionnaires. Is this all they judge you on?

Since seeing the counsellor and her telling me what she did I keep noticing my behaviour and things that upset me and make me feel awkward a lot more and part of me wonders if she is right. It's really messed with my feelings as she made out like if I do have ASD then that's the reason I might be struggling with everything but she didn't really give me any help or guidance. I have been advised that if I do have it, continuing with normal counselling that isn't specific to the condition may do more harm than good. 

From the research I've done so far I can't see me getting diagnosed very easily as I am good at a lot of the general symptoms and behaviours that show up the condition, whether I've learnt to be or I actually am good I don't know. 

Any advice or ideas what to do next? Am wondering whether to try and pay (already spent loads on the first counsellor) for another counsellor to get a second opinion and maybe not mentioning what the first one said to see if they find the same conclusion?

I phoned the GP to discuss options but twice now I've been told they can't speak to me unless its an emergency.  

Parents
  • I have done the same tests several months apart and got quite different scores, chances are that I was in a different mood or I read the questions differently, and so on.

I believe that you have nothing to lose by taking the next step.

And to be honest if you are a "functioning" (I can not think of a better word) adult, you have even less to worry about.

I self identified a few months ago and when I told relatives I got several nods, I am in the process of making my diagnosis "official" and just created an account >here<.

Whatever you do, do NOT panic.

• I have done the same tests several months apart and got quite different scores, chances are that I was in a different mood or I read the questions differently, and so on.

I believe that you have nothing to lose by taking the next step.

And to be honest if you are a "functioning" (I can not think of a better word) adult, you have even less to worry about.

I self identified a few months ago and when I told relatives I got several nods, I am in the process of making my diagnosis "official" and just created an account >here<.

Whatever you do, do NOT panic.

Children
No Data