Focused interest- pets.

Since age 5 I’ve had my own pets to care for. Between 5 and 14 I had hamsters after every death is greive and then adopt another. I knew everything about the care for the animals and the pet itself (birthday, mannerisms and personality). At 14 I moved onto a larger more intelligent rodent- rats. It was much more intense an interest as I dedicated 100% free time to my rats, again knowing all about them. Now it’s my cat and cats generally after loving big cats as a child. 

Do you think an autistic persons pet can be their focused/intense interest? 

I have other focused interests such as music genres. But my main interest is animals, primarily focusing on my pets. 

Parents
  • Definitely. I’m planning on getting myself a puppy and a kitten (when I feel able to care for them) as my companions and my special interest, I’m going to teach my dog to tricks and things and enjoy my time with them. I think you have a lovely special interest and I think animals are great companions for us, especially as we don’t gel so well with most people. I think you’ve got it sussed.

• Definitely. I’m planning on getting myself a puppy and a kitten (when I feel able to care for them) as my companions and my special interest, I’m going to teach my dog to tricks and things and enjoy my time with them. I think you have a lovely special interest and I think animals are great companions for us, especially as we don’t gel so well with most people. I think you’ve got it sussed.

Children