A little bit about myself

I’m new on here and thought I would share a little bit about myself:

- I was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome at 16 years old. I am now in my early 20s.

- I have an older brother who also has Asperger’s. He went to a Special Educational Needs school, but I went to mainstream schools (three different ones because I was bullied terribly).

- Alongside my Asperger’s I have struggled with anxiety and depression, the latter of which was caused by the poor treatment I received from my former employer.

- I currently work in the accounts department of a charity, but I also voluntarily coach 3-6 year olds. 

- I love participating in sports (skiing, horse riding, gymnastics, cheerleading, running, ballet etc.), though I currently can’t  as I have a serious knee injury.

- I have very strong morals and determination, which means that I will pursue what I believe to be right to even when it causes a detriment to myself. This means that despite my age I have already undertaken complex Employment Tribunal proceedings against a former employer, I have been in contact with my local MP regarding mental health services in my area, I have quit a job and reported the employer because safe working practices weren’t being followed, I have complained to the Legal Ombudsman regarding an overcharge by a Solicitor and had the money refunded and I have chased a complaint regarding Tees, Esk and Wear Valley NHS Trust over sixty times in the last year because they refuse to supply a reasonable response to my (and many of their other patient’s) complaints. So if anyone needs help with anything similar then I will do my best to assist!

- I am quite sarcastic, I love a good laugh and I do my best to make the people around me happy.

- I believe that neurodiversity is important in the world, and that we all have something important to add in some way. If we were all the same then no progress would ever be made and we would all probably die of boredom!

That’s enough about me, I now look forward to getting to know and help others in this community.

Parents
  • Hi, and welcome!

You sound great!  Good on you for all you've done and achieved.

I, too, moved around at school and was bullied a lot.  I eventually left after being hospitalised following a beating.

I didn't get my diagnosis until almost 3 years ago, aged 56.  It's been an.... interesting life.  I, too, have suffered at the hands of employers.  Anxiety and depression have haunted me for much of my adult life.

I love sarcasm - the highest form of wit!  I work now with autistic people, which is exhausting - but it brings out the comedian and entertainer in me.  If you can make people happy, then it's all worthwhile.

It's good that you have such a positive and determined attitude.  I look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best,

Tom

• Thank you for your kind words Tom, they are much appreciated.

I’m sorry to hear of the struggles you have had in your own life, and I do hope that your diagnosis has helped you over the last few years (I know that for myself it sort of helped everything to click in some way - I suddenly knew why I felt/acted so differently to everyone else around me). 

I was wondering, as you are ‘Martian Tom’, how do you rate Earth compared to Mars - should I look to emigrate?! (There goes that sarcasm...)

• Thank you for your kind words Tom, they are much appreciated.

I’m sorry to hear of the struggles you have had in your own life, and I do hope that your diagnosis has helped you over the last few years (I know that for myself it sort of helped everything to click in some way - I suddenly knew why I felt/acted so differently to everyone else around me). 

I was wondering, as you are ‘Martian Tom’, how do you rate Earth compared to Mars - should I look to emigrate?! (There goes that sarcasm...)

Children
No Data