3 year old son may have autism

Hi everyone,

So we are in the middle of getting our little boy diagnosed atm he is pretty much non verbal just the basics hi, bye, mum and & dad etc he really is difficult when it comes to meal/snack times has anyone got the same problem? Im really worried he is going to starve, i have been trying to get him to drink vitamin drinks but even with that its hard. He is constantly getting colds and flu aswell. He is at nursery but he doesnt seem to interact with the kids there but seems to be ok during group time. Also he hates to be touched its quite hard to get him to give a hug etc although he seems to be ok with me just other family members.

Would like to know what everyone elses stories are? 

Thanks

• My LG is 3 and when she was 2 her nursery had concerns as she did not answer to her name in nursery. So we had a hearing appointment in Sept 2017 which was non conclusive and so we were Advised to get a SOGS assessment from the health visitor. Our LG scored low on a few Areas so she was referred to the local “Children with additional needs team” where it was decided that she will be referred to speech language, the paediatrician and for play therapy. Our LG has some language but most of it is language she has learned from watching tv Peppa Pig etc which is her absolute favourite. She can recite entire episodes. She has no conversational speech. But having said that she has started to ask for things and will bring me her cup when she wants a drink etc. She plays alone and does not give very good eye contact to anyone apart from me and my OH. She does love her older brother though aswell and he is brilliant with her. So it’s been a bit of a whirl wind and if this time last year someone mentioned autism I would have laughed but she is showing a lot of traits at the moment but we love her very much and she is still the same to us. We just want what’s best for her. We of course have no diagnosis yet so will of course see what the paediatrician says but just wanted to let you know you are not alone. We are unsure as to how to talk to our LG too but what definitely helps is using small sentences and one word instructions to so we don’t confuse her and she responds well to that as we are hoping it will bring on her speech.

she is a good eater but some days will eat loads and other days will eat hardly anything. We would love if she tried new things x 

• Would like to know what everyone elses stories are? 

Perhaps read the sample pages from the book 'I'm Not Naughty - I'm Autistic - Jodi's Journey', by Jean Shaw, via the following link:

https://www.jkp.com/uk/i-m-not-naughty-i-m-autistic.html

1. Hi again, I realise that I forgot to say anything about eating habits, which was one of your concerns. Although my son was never very picky about food in itself, he has always hated for different food types to be touching on the plate. There needs to be a gap, so flavours don't mingle. I don't know if that helps. Also, assuming that all the children at the nursery have their snack at the same time, maybe he finds sitting with them all a bit overwhelming, would they allow him to have his snack separately if necessary?

2. He wants to be a computer games designer when he grows up.

Huh. Well, there's still time, either for him to change his mind or for the games industry to start treating their resources like actual people...

https://kotaku.com/game-industry-veteran-writes-horrifying-article-in-defe-1771434170

Just sayin'...

3. Hi, I have a son who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 5. He is now 14. He was slow to reach developmental milestones such as sitting up and walking, but otherwise seemed to be developing normally, except that he didn't seem to recognise my husband and I as significant. Looking back. he seemed to be in a world of his own even then. He began talking, but at about 2 years old stopped altogether, and didn't speak again for months. When he started again, he didn't use any of the words he had previously known, and his preferred method of communication was to grunt or point at things. Sometimes he would grab my hand (without looking at me) and place it on a particular object he was interested in.

At the time, I was worried that he would never learn to talk properly. I made picture cards of drinks, food, the toilet, etc. so he could let me know what he needed by showing the picture to me, This worked quite well. Picture cards of emotions, which I also tried, were less successful. He was a huge fan of Thomas the Tank Engine as a boy, so we tried to help him to understand emotions in the context of  the programmes. (E.g. Thomas was grumpy because one of the other engines was picking on him.) When he was young, he went to a special needs school part-time and a normal pre-school the rest of the week, and had a lot of speech therapy. Gradually, things improved.

He loved being bundled up in blankets and duvets like a chrysalis, and still does. He was also OK about being hugged by family members, although now he's a teenager he isn't as keen, but I think that's pretty normal at his age.

He learned to talk and caught up with the rest of his peers during primary school. He is now at the local High School, doesn't need extra help in the classroom, but does have a card he can show to the teacher at any time which permits him to leave and go to a quiet place if he needs to. One area of concern which we are still working on is that he has a quick temper, but he is more likely to withdraw than to fight. He has a few close friends at school, and more online. On the whole, things seem to be going well. He wants to be a computer games designer when he grows up.

Best wishes from OrinocoFlo