Hi

Hi. Newbie here. Although I haven't been diagnosed, I and my wife think I meet all the symptoms.     I'm unsure about getting a diagnosis, I'm 47.

Thanks 

Brian 

Parents
  • I'm 56 and mid-diagnosis (split over 2 x 3 hour sessions).  

Both my wife and I think we're both "on the spectrum" and tests such as the AQ50 also point that way.  My wife can't see how a formal diagnosis would help her, but I swayed the other way.  It will, hopefully, confirm the suspicions that many problems I've had through life have a cause, rather than me just being rude, abrupt, annoying, irritating and eccentric.  It will allow me to explain to colleagues at work why I sound so abrupt on the phone (I want to get down to business, not make chit-chat).  I crave knowledge.  In times of personal or family crisis, my solution is to seek information on the problem. When our first daughter had severe problems during birth, I needed to know all the causes and possible outcomes so I could make informed decisions. One doctor said he found my reaction unusual - to parse every thing through intellect rather than emotion.

We're both quite high-functioning, have daughters, hold down jobs (in my case I had many short-lived jobs until I got to 29 and found a company who tolerate me and value my skills), so at the moment neither of us would be in need of extra help or assistance - as there is much help that I have found on this and other forums (or should that be fora?) such as Aspergers UK on Facebook. But to me, 'just knowing' will be the biggest assistance. 

• I'm 56 and mid-diagnosis (split over 2 x 3 hour sessions).  

Both my wife and I think we're both "on the spectrum" and tests such as the AQ50 also point that way.  My wife can't see how a formal diagnosis would help her, but I swayed the other way.  It will, hopefully, confirm the suspicions that many problems I've had through life have a cause, rather than me just being rude, abrupt, annoying, irritating and eccentric.  It will allow me to explain to colleagues at work why I sound so abrupt on the phone (I want to get down to business, not make chit-chat).  I crave knowledge.  In times of personal or family crisis, my solution is to seek information on the problem. When our first daughter had severe problems during birth, I needed to know all the causes and possible outcomes so I could make informed decisions. One doctor said he found my reaction unusual - to parse every thing through intellect rather than emotion.

We're both quite high-functioning, have daughters, hold down jobs (in my case I had many short-lived jobs until I got to 29 and found a company who tolerate me and value my skills), so at the moment neither of us would be in need of extra help or assistance - as there is much help that I have found on this and other forums (or should that be fora?) such as Aspergers UK on Facebook. But to me, 'just knowing' will be the biggest assistance. 

Children
No Data