Hi

Hi. Newbie here. Although I haven't been diagnosed, I and my wife think I meet all the symptoms.     I'm unsure about getting a diagnosis, I'm 47.

Thanks 

Brian 

Parents
  • Hi, we have one son diagnosed and another on the waiting list. Their Dad who is 48 is fairly sure his brain is similarly wired. He was asked by the psychologist at our son’s last meeting if he thought a diagnosis would have helped him. Although he can’t be certain it wouldn’t have helped him at school, he has learned to cope with difficult situations in various ways and believes a diagnosis now wouldn’t make much difference to him personally. I think you need to work out what you hope a diagnosis will bring or how desperate you are for help and support. It helped our eldest son (diagnosed at 15) understand why he thought/behaved differently to his friends. He was already getting wonderful support at school so the diagnosis has made no difference in that way but of course it may help him as he moves on in life. ASD varies so much, without knowing what areas of your life are affected it is difficult to know if a diagnosis at this late stage would be useful. However, if it brings you peace of mind or access to support then it may well be worthwhile. Hope that helps a little bit

• Thanks for the reply. I've got used to it over the years now. 

Reply Children
No Data