New member - I think I'm an aspie..

I recently met an Aspie (online, and then in person), and she told me that I am one, too.. I did some reading, and many of the traits seem to resonate with me, so it seems likely she's right.

I don't think I need a diagnosis, but have joined here to find others who may be in the same position and would then understand me.

I have worked with computers and moved into programming (to make computers and computer-controlled equipment, do useful things.

While I tended to get on with colleagues, I have had almost no friends outside work, and since I became self-employed, have little contact with others.

I have always found it difficult to start a conversation with people, but I do better, online. Sometimes I get on with someone and manage to meet them, later - I tend to contact people from abroad, and then try to meet them during my travels.

Most days I only talk to the cats that visit me. I have discovered cat cafes in recent years, and have visited 10, so far.. including in Prague, Bratislava, Vienna and Budapest.

Sometimes I haven't spoken to anybody for weeks, but communicate online most days.

Even with people I know, including my siblings, I prefer texts and emails to phone calls.

Parents
  • Hi there,

Whilst I can't identify with you on the programming thing (probably a bit too left-brain logical for me!), I'm like you in all the other respects: no friends outside of work, little contact with others (apart from online, which is my world!), don't speak to people for days on end, prefer texts and emails to phone calls... and prefer the company of cats!  My favourite analogy to explain my condition to others is that I'm like a cat in a world of dogs.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, at the ripe old age of 56.  For me, the diagnosis has been an overwhelmingly positive thing - enabling me to make sense of my life at last.  It's made me feel much more comfortable with myself.

If you're interested, you could always try the AQ test.  It's the standard pre-diagnostic test, developed at the University of Cambridge by Simon Baron-Cohen.  Most NTs score in the teens (an NT friend of mine who tried it scored 5).  Scores over 32 are usually indicative.  I scored 42.  It's here, anyway.  Should only take you 10 minutes...

AQ Test

Welcome to the forums. Slight smile

Tom

• Hi there,

Whilst I can't identify with you on the programming thing (probably a bit too left-brain logical for me!), I'm like you in all the other respects: no friends outside of work, little contact with others (apart from online, which is my world!), don't speak to people for days on end, prefer texts and emails to phone calls... and prefer the company of cats!  My favourite analogy to explain my condition to others is that I'm like a cat in a world of dogs.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, at the ripe old age of 56.  For me, the diagnosis has been an overwhelmingly positive thing - enabling me to make sense of my life at last.  It's made me feel much more comfortable with myself.

If you're interested, you could always try the AQ test.  It's the standard pre-diagnostic test, developed at the University of Cambridge by Simon Baron-Cohen.  Most NTs score in the teens (an NT friend of mine who tried it scored 5).  Scores over 32 are usually indicative.  I scored 42.  It's here, anyway.  Should only take you 10 minutes...

AQ Test

Welcome to the forums. Slight smile

Tom

Children
  • I tried it and got 32. There were a few questions where I didn't really think any of the answers were appropriate, and fear I may have provided the answer I thought an Aspie might choose.

I do like to create spreadsheets when planning a holiday, so I can check where I will be every day, Where I have booked to stay, when I can check-in, whether it includes breakfast, and if payment has already been taken. Also, which buses or trains I should get (with alternatives).

I also record my spending, so I can see afterwards how much I spent on accommodation, meals, transport, etc.

I let Ginger in this morning, and after having our breakfasts, he decided to sleep on me for a few hours.. He knows that purring always gets him whatever he wants..