Another Newbie...

Hi.

Like so many others, I have long lived with this affliction without realising that I was a sufferer. I'm 45 and since I was a toddler, I have shown many a behavioral trait associated with Aspergers. I had a traumatic childhood which led to me having to become independent at an early age. Since then, I have had several relationships that ended badly and being told that I need help. In the end, I consulted my GP who said I was manic depressive with anger issues. For a very long time, I have been on many different anti-depressants, all of which have barely helped, other than to mask my true feelings from others. Around four years ago, it was suggested that I may have deeper psychological issues and that I should seek counselling. This is something that I intend to do but I keep putting it off. It was around this time that I looked online for help and advice and I briefly entertained the idea that I may have Aspergers. I show so many traits, but I thought it may just be coincidence. Fast forward to now, and recent events in my life have made me question this possibility again. I read an article that was directed at adults who want to learn more about Asperger. There were many things that were covered that I can relate to, which I can elaborate on later if I get any replies and the time to do so. I took the online test that has been recommended on this site and I scored 41. I answered as honestly as I could. It's weird self-analysing oneself. I am wondering whether I should try to seek a diagnosis, just to confirm what I already know, or if that is a waste of time. Any advice would be most welcome.

I am currently experiencing a huge upheaval in my life, I've started a new job that I don't feel I'm suited to, my marriage is on the rocks and my father passed away recently. I also have a stressful claim against my former employer where I sustained an injury from an accident that wasn't my fault.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Phelix.

• Welcome Phelix.

I am 45 and I only asked for an assessment and got a diagnosis within the last few months. I wanted one as I know I need help in a few areas but then found that there was no help to be found. So the question as to whether to seek a diagnosis comes down to what you want it for. If it would help in the case against your former employer, go for it, if not don’t. If you need reasonable adjustments for your new job then again it’s worth considering getting one. If it might explain some of the marriage difficulties and so allow for an avenue to save to definetly go for it. So basically, you need to know why you want it to work out whether it’s worthwhile

Andy

• Hi NAS35320,

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice in regards to getting a diagnosis.

You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

Alternatively, you may find the following link from our diagnosis page useful:http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis.aspx 

Ayshe Mod

• Hi NAS35320,

If you telephone (at any time) the NAS (National Autistic Society) helpline: 0808 800 4104 and select option 4, and ask for an Adult Asperger's Information Pack, and leave your name and address, it should arrive in a few weeks, and help you suss out the diagnosis business.