40 year old woman being assessed

Hello, I'm Sarah. I've been referred and my assessment is in a couple of weeks.
My AQ is 44 and my EQ is 16.

I've had a very positive experience with the NHS so far - my GP was supportive and I was referred within weeks. When I called for my appointment the receptionist had clearly been trained in speaking to people like me and spelled out exactly what would happen and what I could expect. I've never had anyone be so helpful, it felt like she was speaking a language I was fluent in.

I'm an Oxford graduate so pretty bright, but have really struggled in the workplace. For the last few years I've been a stay-at-home mum and have been really happy as I felt safe and in control. But I will need to go back out to work within the next couple of years for financial reasons (I've been so lucky to have had that time), and I think I need support.

I just wish my possible autism had been identified 30 years ago!

Parents
  • I know what you mean - 46 years old and only just found out!! No need to stress about the assessment, they are considerate of you as a person (which is of course what they are trying to assess) and personally I found it very interesting. I learned a few new things about myself during the assessment, and also got some good advice on how to mitigate those aspects of AS that can cause me problems (there are some aspects of it that I think are quite positive, especially in my line of work as a computer programmer). Unfortunately, as it's often said, little girls with AS tend to slip through the net, particularly if they are intelligent, which you clearly are. Looking back on things I did as a child with the benefit of the knowledge I have now, it is obvious, but I guess back then it was less well known and as I appeared to be coping (and academically, excelling) no-one was too worried. I imagine it was probably much the same for you.

Best of luck for your assessment, and I hope you get some answers.

• Thank you, that's helpful. Yes, I slipped through the net because I was hiding everything, which has been stressful and exhausting. My older brother has more obvious traits and is a language savant, so I looked normal in comparison!

• Thank you, that's helpful. Yes, I slipped through the net because I was hiding everything, which has been stressful and exhausting. My older brother has more obvious traits and is a language savant, so I looked normal in comparison!

Children
No Data