Sunglasses

As I recently discovered that I am autistic and lights have always been a problem for me, I would like to get sunglasses and wear them everywhere.

Do you wear sunglasses indoors?

Where would be the best place to get them? I do not like shops and meet strangers, so the best way would be online.

If, I buy them online how can I know that they will fit me?

Parents
  • Hi California,

I wear glasses all the time (varifocals), so I have transition lenses that darken naturally in the light.  They're a pain when I come from the light to the shade, though, because they take a while to return to normal.  I'd suggest maybe speaking to an optician about special glasses - that's if you want to spend a bit more money - or maybe speak to your GP.  I don't know - maybe you could get something prescribed if you're light-sensitive. 

Some websites for glasses companies have a facility where you can upload a passport photo and 'try' various glasses on - but that's more for style rather than fit.  To be honest, I've never had a problem with fit with any bog-standard sunglasses I've bought.  Many of the better quality ones are adjustable, too.  Maybe just buy a cheap pair online first to see how you get on.  You can always grade up.

• Hi California,

I wear glasses all the time (varifocals), so I have transition lenses that darken naturally in the light.  They're a pain when I come from the light to the shade, though, because they take a while to return to normal.  I'd suggest maybe speaking to an optician about special glasses - that's if you want to spend a bit more money - or maybe speak to your GP.  I don't know - maybe you could get something prescribed if you're light-sensitive. 

Some websites for glasses companies have a facility where you can upload a passport photo and 'try' various glasses on - but that's more for style rather than fit.  To be honest, I've never had a problem with fit with any bog-standard sunglasses I've bought.  Many of the better quality ones are adjustable, too.  Maybe just buy a cheap pair online first to see how you get on.  You can always grade up.

Children
  • Thank you very much, Martian Tom, for the information and the advice!

I did not know that there are transition lenses that darken naturally in the light.

When I asked my GP about noise cancelling headphones, said that they cannot prescribe them and I should look around myself.

Can GPs prescribe sunglasses? I would prefer special glasses but I cannot really afford them as they cost hundreds of pounds.