Unbreakable spectacles?

Hello

My 13 year old son has autism. He keeps breaking his glasses when angry or frustrated. He can tell us that it's not because he doesn't like the glasses (he likes them and knows he gets headaches without them) but because it's so satisfying to break them when he is angry. 7 pairs since Christmas - roughly one a month, and given that there is a gap inbetween as we make appointments, wait for the frames to be made etc, they can't be lasting longer than two weeks. He absolutely hates going to Specsavers because of the bright lights, noise, physical proximity of people etc. (We have learnt the quieter times to go)

Can anyone recommend a good brand of unbreakable glasses? The last ones to break were 'ultraflex'

Thank you so much. 

Vicky

Parents
  • can he manage without glasses? I didn't have any for years and never wore them until i was hit by a car. i have dreadful posture stooping and squint, but you don't need glasses for most things - i'm minus five since a child

• I'm an adult who would desperately like a company to make attractive and indestructible glasses. I find I constantly manage to break mine. They have been pulled, pushed, twirled, sat on, stood on , Nerdt down , lost etc etc I even tried rimless bendy glasses but recently the arm fell off!Nerd And no contact lenses are not the answer.  

• I'm an adult who would desperately like a company to make attractive and indestructible glasses. I find I constantly manage to break mine. They have been pulled, pushed, twirled, sat on, stood on , Nerdt down , lost etc etc I even tried rimless bendy glasses but recently the arm fell off!Nerd And no contact lenses are not the answer.  

Children
  • I'm glad you didn't delete it. It probably would seem a trivial issue to some or not understand how anyone could mistreat their specs. Something satisfying about twirling them! Fidget! My rimless bendy ones do bend to a point but the screw fell out and so the arm fell off ) ( which is funny I know ) but now they are sitting in their case whilst I wear an old pair until I can get to the optician. . I keep old pairs for emergencies. I had trouble with varifocals and I am short sighted so with single lense specs I take them off a lot if they irritate my face or for close work like this phone. I end up putting them down all over the place with various results. I do know it's daft really but smacks of some mothers do have em.  

• Don't mean to be frivolous, but I have a wonderful image of you twirling your glasses like some kind of majorette! 

I have some of those rimless bendy armed ones but I don't wear them enough to know how tough they are,  they are supposed to take a fair amount of abuse aren't they? 

I have contact lenses for short sightedness and am lucky that they are the kind you can leave in for a month, probably not a solution for a child. 

I was going to delete this as a no use response but have decided to leave it as another thought from another person who deletes their own voice far too often.