Lorry drivers and getting diagnosed.

Hi everyone, 

im new here. I'll cut a long story short, basically for years my mum and I have both thought I've been Autistic, I really struggle with most things you'd read relating to it (I don't need to go through them, I'm sure you all get what I mean) 

My issue that I'm a lorry driver, I'm scared they'll try and revoke my licence. I think it makes me pay more attention to the little details but I'm not sure if the DVLA will see it that way. Is anyone here a lorry driver? after all these years of struggling it'd be so nice to have an idea what makes me struggle with making new friends, saying rude things struggling to understand people And worst of all, social situations. My anxiety goes through the roof to meet new people especially when it's more than one :(. 

I could pay privately too but I guess they'd have to tel my Dr still. I also used to get a lot of help for depression, I could speak to my previous pscyistrist maybe? 

Can anyone help me With any info? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi Kimmy, 

I'm a 45 year old Trucker with Autism and Aspies. I'm the only driver in our company who has not been involved in an accident or incident in the past 5 years. What does that tell you my friend?

I drive a HGV and I work nights, I prefer nights as the roads are much quieter and less stressful for me, and I drive the same route every night. Perfect really. 

There is only a legal requirement for you to inform the DVLA and DVSA if your medical condition has an impact on your ability to drive a vehicle. Ask yourself how many people out there do you see driving with glasses on, I wonder how many of them have informed DVLA that they wear glasses????

By virtue of the fact you have already proven yourself to be a safe and competent driver and have passed the prescribed LGV driving test, not to mention surviving the boredom of the Driver CPC!!!

Stop worrying yourself buddy and enjoy your driving career. 

Best wishes and keep on truckin'

1. Andy the Trucker 
  • Hi everyone, 

bit of an update. So I went to the NHS who wouldn't diagnose me. They palmed me off a bit and still haven't given me any help for my horrific anxiety problems at the moment. 

I got fed up and decided to pay privately, its cost a lot of money. But at least I have a diagnosis. The Dr diagnosed me as having Aspergers, ADHD, Dyspraxia and some OCD which drives me nuts. 

Im quite pleased. Even on the way home with my mum, things started making sense. Just like oversensitivity to things and some other stuff. 

I spoke to my manager at work who is supportive. He actually said it before I'd even mentioned it. His friend has aspergers so he sees a few of his traits in me. I told him about a tantrum I had with a mechanic because I didn't want to sign something. I knew I was being difficult, but I was struggling to not be like it. I said that to him and he said about his friend acting similarly. He said well it's good now we know. We can try help you when you get how I do. Which is really positive. 

Thanks everyone :) 

• Arran said:

A friend with AS took a driving test in a car before the theory test was implemented and has C1 and C1+E on his driving licence. This allows him to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry and tow a 750kg trailer but he has never had any subsequent medical tests since he got his licence. 

Thats called grandfather rights. Passing before 97. I didn't get any of that :/. But I have CE allowing me to drive any size truck. 

• IrkaBlue said:

Hi Kimmy,

It appears to make you an even more careful driver. As far as I can tell, the Gov UK site only states that you must disclose it if it can affect your driving. From all accounts, you've had no accidents or troubles without being diagnosed? If you seek a NHS diagnosis, then I'd be doubtful that your doctor would rule you as incapable of safely driving. To be a Lorry driver, you've had to do further testing, haven't you?

You've proven yourself more than capable of handling your job. I checked the DVLA M1 form and I don't think you would have anything to disclose that would disqualify you. 

I don't think you should hold back from getting a diagnosis. From research, it seems that the chances of you having your licence revoked are very slim. 

Good luck! 

I hope that this was helpful in anyway.

-Irka

Hi Irka. 

I didn't realise that. I have actually read it but didn't acknoledge that bit. I've had a couple but it comes with the territory in heavy haulage. No more than anyone else to be honest. I've had a lot of tests. 12  total I think I counted. Had another medical as well recently which was more stringent than a normal hgv medical. 

Thanks again, dr is going to call today :) 

Kim :) 

• A friend with AS took a driving test in a car before the theory test was implemented and has C1 and C1+E on his driving licence. This allows him to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry and tow a 750kg trailer but he has never had any subsequent medical tests since he got his licence. 

• Hi Kimmy,

It appears to make you an even more careful driver. As far as I can tell, the Gov UK site only states that you must disclose it if it can affect your driving. From all accounts, you've had no accidents or troubles without being diagnosed? If you seek a NHS diagnosis, then I'd be doubtful that your doctor would rule you as incapable of safely driving. To be a Lorry driver, you've had to do further testing, haven't you?

You've proven yourself more than capable of handling your job. I checked the DVLA M1 form and I don't think you would have anything to disclose that would disqualify you. 

I don't think you should hold back from getting a diagnosis. From research, it seems that the chances of you having your licence revoked are very slim. 

Good luck! 

I hope that this was helpful in anyway.

-Irka