Lorry drivers and getting diagnosed.

Hi everyone, 

im new here. I'll cut a long story short, basically for years my mum and I have both thought I've been Autistic, I really struggle with most things you'd read relating to it (I don't need to go through them, I'm sure you all get what I mean) 

My issue that I'm a lorry driver, I'm scared they'll try and revoke my licence. I think it makes me pay more attention to the little details but I'm not sure if the DVLA will see it that way. Is anyone here a lorry driver? after all these years of struggling it'd be so nice to have an idea what makes me struggle with making new friends, saying rude things struggling to understand people And worst of all, social situations. My anxiety goes through the roof to meet new people especially when it's more than one :(. 

I could pay privately too but I guess they'd have to tel my Dr still. I also used to get a lot of help for depression, I could speak to my previous pscyistrist maybe? 

Can anyone help me With any info? 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • Hi Kimmy,

I'm not a lorry driver - but I've held my driving licence since 1979 and have never had either an accident or any points.  I've also driven mini-buses regularly, up to the limits we had on pre-1997 licences.

Interestingly, I had mini-bus training today for my new job.  I mentioned to the instructor that I'd been diagnosed (nearly 3 years ago) with an autistic spectrum condition, but that it had never affected my driving.  He didn't seem at all bothered about it.  Four of us had a road test, and I was the only one who didn't need to repeat any moves.

As others have said, if anything I think it's made me a more careful driver.  I like to drive in peace - no music, talking, and definitely no phones - and give it my full concentration.  Maybe that says something. 

In spite of the accidents you mentioned, I'll bet you're much more careful than most - and you've probably got a better record.

• Hey Tom, thanks for the message. 

This all seems to corilate to what the guy that diagnosed me said. He said we’re generally more aware. And as you say, I think we’re more cautious. I certainly ask a lot more questions about everything and find out more detail to take the most care. 

I’m not sure if you mean record about driving incidents or about as a person at work. The former I’m not sure about but the latter I do get on well. I’m not one to moan, I keep to myself and usually always get the job done in a safe manner. I’m so forgetful though. I seem to get picked on by all the guys though. Not sure if it’s just me being a women in a male environment or that I’m just a ***. I do wish they’d leave me alone though. 

• Ah, that's guys - unfortunately.  Happens in every environment - even where I work, in autism care, where people are trained to be more receptive and understanding.  I still get my leg pulled by people who should know better.

I'm very cautious as a driver.  I annoy people sometimes because I'm a stickler with speed limits.  My one real problem is that I have a hopeless sense of direction, and if I get lost or take a wrong exit, I can really go through the roof with anxiety.  I wouldn't want to be a passenger with me!

I think, when people are ribbing you for something, it makes you far more self-conscious - like they're just looking out for you to make a mistake.  In those circumstances, I do tend to make silly mistakes - because I'm trying much harder than normal not to make any.  And the more I make - the more they seem justified in believing I'm an idiot.

• Kimmy, 

You are NOT an idiot. 

You are a skilled, gifted professional driver. How many times do they screw up and just laugh it off? How many bumps and scrapes have they had? How many times have they taken a wrong turn and hit a dead end?

We've ALL done it, it's all in a days work.

I feel in the same boat as you, that the boss has it in for me and that others are mocking me behind my back and trying to stitch me up. They *** up an order and suddenly it's made to feel like it's my fault even though all I do is deliver what they have loaded on my truck. 

I wish they'd all just go away and leave me alone, life is hard enough without idiots making things more difficult. 

We should actually feel smugly superior to them though as we are blessed with this gift that they are not. We are more intelligent than they are.

Hold your head up high, the problem is theirs, not yours. 

Best wishes 

Andy 

• I wonder, too, if it's a bit of the old 'woman in a man's world' thing.  It wasn't too many years ago that a job like you're doing was very much a 'man's' job (for some reason!)  So when a woman comes into the role - essentially, as they might see it, taking men on at their game - some of them might feel, perhaps, that their masculinity is under threat (poor flowers!).  Either that, or they want to use the opportunity to show that women aren't really up to the job.  So they will find every little thing and exaggerate it out of proportion.  Even though we live in more enlightened times, that kind of sexism is still rampant in many areas or employment - not just in pay inequality.  My late uncle was a fireman all his working life.  He retired from the service at around the time that more women were being accepted into it - and he was dead against it  (though he could never say precisely why with any conviction).  I said to him once 'If I'm in a burning building and someone is there to rescue me, am I going to refuse to be rescued because they happen to be a woman?'  He didn't really have an answer.  Surprise surprise!

• That last point, I feel exactly that. The guys mostly seem to wait for me to screw up. Then they all carry on slagging me off and making things up. It really upsets me. I try my hardest all the time and it never feels good enough because everyone always shames me anyway they can. 

• That last point, I feel exactly that. The guys mostly seem to wait for me to screw up. Then they all carry on slagging me off and making things up. It really upsets me. I try my hardest all the time and it never feels good enough because everyone always shames me anyway they can. 

Children
  • Kimmy, 

You are NOT an idiot. 

You are a skilled, gifted professional driver. How many times do they screw up and just laugh it off? How many bumps and scrapes have they had? How many times have they taken a wrong turn and hit a dead end?

We've ALL done it, it's all in a days work.

I feel in the same boat as you, that the boss has it in for me and that others are mocking me behind my back and trying to stitch me up. They *** up an order and suddenly it's made to feel like it's my fault even though all I do is deliver what they have loaded on my truck. 

I wish they'd all just go away and leave me alone, life is hard enough without idiots making things more difficult. 

We should actually feel smugly superior to them though as we are blessed with this gift that they are not. We are more intelligent than they are.

Hold your head up high, the problem is theirs, not yours. 

Best wishes 

Andy 

• I wonder, too, if it's a bit of the old 'woman in a man's world' thing.  It wasn't too many years ago that a job like you're doing was very much a 'man's' job (for some reason!)  So when a woman comes into the role - essentially, as they might see it, taking men on at their game - some of them might feel, perhaps, that their masculinity is under threat (poor flowers!).  Either that, or they want to use the opportunity to show that women aren't really up to the job.  So they will find every little thing and exaggerate it out of proportion.  Even though we live in more enlightened times, that kind of sexism is still rampant in many areas or employment - not just in pay inequality.  My late uncle was a fireman all his working life.  He retired from the service at around the time that more women were being accepted into it - and he was dead against it  (though he could never say precisely why with any conviction).  I said to him once 'If I'm in a burning building and someone is there to rescue me, am I going to refuse to be rescued because they happen to be a woman?'  He didn't really have an answer.  Surprise surprise!