Lorry drivers and getting diagnosed.

Hi everyone, 

im new here. I'll cut a long story short, basically for years my mum and I have both thought I've been Autistic, I really struggle with most things you'd read relating to it (I don't need to go through them, I'm sure you all get what I mean) 

My issue that I'm a lorry driver, I'm scared they'll try and revoke my licence. I think it makes me pay more attention to the little details but I'm not sure if the DVLA will see it that way. Is anyone here a lorry driver? after all these years of struggling it'd be so nice to have an idea what makes me struggle with making new friends, saying rude things struggling to understand people And worst of all, social situations. My anxiety goes through the roof to meet new people especially when it's more than one :(. 

I could pay privately too but I guess they'd have to tel my Dr still. I also used to get a lot of help for depression, I could speak to my previous pscyistrist maybe? 

Can anyone help me With any info? 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • Hi Kimmy, 

I'm a 45 year old Trucker with Autism and Aspies. I'm the only driver in our company who has not been involved in an accident or incident in the past 5 years. What does that tell you my friend?

I drive a HGV and I work nights, I prefer nights as the roads are much quieter and less stressful for me, and I drive the same route every night. Perfect really. 

There is only a legal requirement for you to inform the DVLA and DVSA if your medical condition has an impact on your ability to drive a vehicle. Ask yourself how many people out there do you see driving with glasses on, I wonder how many of them have informed DVLA that they wear glasses????

By virtue of the fact you have already proven yourself to be a safe and competent driver and have passed the prescribed LGV driving test, not to mention surviving the boredom of the Driver CPC!!!

Stop worrying yourself buddy and enjoy your driving career. 

Best wishes and keep on truckin'

1. Andy the Trucker 
  • Hello Andy, I appreciate the comment. I’ve had a few accidents recently but I work in heavy haulage and move some very big loads, wide long and very heavy. So I put it down to just having a bad run of it. Especially being I went so long with none. Work think I’m a good driver, they even assessed me recently again after having a couple small accidents. 

Regards 

Kim :) 

• Hi Kim, 

Wow! Heavy Haulage is a pretty impressive niche to be in. I'm in general curtainsider haulage so I take my hat off to you. 

I expect with the size of the gear you carry around and some of the pretty inaccessible places these idiots that sit in offices expect you to squeeze into, the odd bump and scrape is parr for the course and unavoidable.

My company does not know about my autism and aspies, I hide it pretty well apart from if they try and change my run and I have a meltdown in the yard. It's really good that your firm rates you so highly and regard you as such a good driver. Most of the companies I've worked for treat us HGV Driver's really badly, like something that they've trodden in on their shoes, it's good to get a decent boss who actually values you as an individual.

Best wishes to you and keep up the great work!

Andy 

• That's the way to do it. A vehicle check should take 15 minutes if done correctly. When I first started at my firm the transport manager looked at me like I was an alien when I asked him for a vehicle defect book and 2 spare digi tacho rolls. I had to tell him that it is a legal requirement to have a defect book in the cab and that you can get a PG9 for not carrying 2 spare digi tacho rolls. I refuse to drive it if it has so much as a side marker bulb out. Like you say it is my licence, which has been clean for over 20 years. My truck has to be absolutely spot on for me. I can't be doing with crisp packets and coke cans shoved in the door pockets either. They are always clear and polished, maybe a couple of cleaning cloths in there and a can of polish. 

• I've driven mini-buses for years, but my new firm wanted me to take a proficiency test - which I did today.  Learned some interesting stuff.  When I start driving for them, I'm doing it by the book - or not at all.  Full vehicle check (how long does it take? minutes), all windows and mirrors spotless, all floors clear and clean, stop at the garage for tyre pressures.  No one else bothers.  We've recently had a vehicle break down a couple of times because they just have an annual service - and that's all they get.  They can moan, but it's my licence.  And I'm responsible for the safety of the passengers.

• I've driven mini-buses for years, but my new firm wanted me to take a proficiency test - which I did today.  Learned some interesting stuff.  When I start driving for them, I'm doing it by the book - or not at all.  Full vehicle check (how long does it take? minutes), all windows and mirrors spotless, all floors clear and clean, stop at the garage for tyre pressures.  No one else bothers.  We've recently had a vehicle break down a couple of times because they just have an annual service - and that's all they get.  They can moan, but it's my licence.  And I'm responsible for the safety of the passengers.

Children
  • That's the way to do it. A vehicle check should take 15 minutes if done correctly. When I first started at my firm the transport manager looked at me like I was an alien when I asked him for a vehicle defect book and 2 spare digi tacho rolls. I had to tell him that it is a legal requirement to have a defect book in the cab and that you can get a PG9 for not carrying 2 spare digi tacho rolls. I refuse to drive it if it has so much as a side marker bulb out. Like you say it is my licence, which has been clean for over 20 years. My truck has to be absolutely spot on for me. I can't be doing with crisp packets and coke cans shoved in the door pockets either. They are always clear and polished, maybe a couple of cleaning cloths in there and a can of polish.