Suspected HFA/very mild Asperger's in adulthood...is it worth getting diagnosed?!

Hi, all. I'm new here.

I have a five year old daughter and we're fairly certain she has Asperger's, currently going through the diagnostic process with her.

The thing is I've suspected I have it (much more mild than my daughter) since I was a teenager and learned what it was...possibly even sooner than that, I knew I was "different" but didn't have a name for it. I've never thought too deeply about it, once or twice I've read up on Asperger's and though, "Oh, that applies to me." but have seen other things that don't apply to me. However, since learning more about Asperger's through my daughter and learning that there are many differences in girls with Asperger's and boys with it I've become fairly certain that I do have it. I've read a fair amount of literature about females with autism and it mostly all rings true with me.

My dilemma now is, is it worth getting diagnosed as an adult? If I'm honest it barely affects my day-to-day life. I do have trouble coping with certain emotions and can have meltdowns over silly things from time to time (not very often though). When I'm not feeling "hett up" I can be very rational and logical and have explained to my husband precisely what goes through my head when I'm in that mood and over the years he's learned how to calm me down. I feel guilty that he has to "manage" me like I'm a toddler, but it is very rare these days and I'm mostly good at self control....it's usually only when I'm on my period and hormonal that it happens now. I doubt therapy could help with that anyway.

Would a diagnosis in adulthood do anything, or is it not worth the hassle? Would me being diagnosed help with my daughter's diagnosis? Would it hinder it? Would they feel it necessary to suddenly get social services involved with my family because there's concerns over my mental health? Undecided Feeling a bit confused over what to do right now. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Smile  

Parents
  • Hi Hayley. I am undiagnosed and in my 60s. I got by in life, with what I thought was bad pmt and a tendancy to tactlessness until I returned to work when my children were starting/approaching secondary school.

That was when I encountered bullying on a serious scale, because I did not fit in and was lower down the pecking order, than before I had taken my "career break".  I also had a bereavement, and the combined effect pushed me into depression which would not lift. From there on, I believe that I was misdiagnosed. I had never considered asd, but found anyway, that I lost my ability to communicate. I was put on a combination of anti depressents and antipsychotics and had long spells off work due to mental illness.

I cope well, when I am happy, but not when life gets difficult. I would say, therefore, that it would be useful to get your concerns on record with your gp, so that if you have problems later in life, and find you cannot express your concerns coherently because of illness, you will possibly get more appropriate treatment. 

I have tried to talk to my community mental health team since realising I have asd, but they do not want to know, as I am well at the moment.

I doubt that things would be so bad for you, as you have an understanding husband who could, if necessary, speak for you. Misdiagnosis does seam to be a major issue for people with asd. 

• Hi Hayley. I am undiagnosed and in my 60s. I got by in life, with what I thought was bad pmt and a tendancy to tactlessness until I returned to work when my children were starting/approaching secondary school.

That was when I encountered bullying on a serious scale, because I did not fit in and was lower down the pecking order, than before I had taken my "career break".  I also had a bereavement, and the combined effect pushed me into depression which would not lift. From there on, I believe that I was misdiagnosed. I had never considered asd, but found anyway, that I lost my ability to communicate. I was put on a combination of anti depressents and antipsychotics and had long spells off work due to mental illness.

I cope well, when I am happy, but not when life gets difficult. I would say, therefore, that it would be useful to get your concerns on record with your gp, so that if you have problems later in life, and find you cannot express your concerns coherently because of illness, you will possibly get more appropriate treatment. 

I have tried to talk to my community mental health team since realising I have asd, but they do not want to know, as I am well at the moment.

I doubt that things would be so bad for you, as you have an understanding husband who could, if necessary, speak for you. Misdiagnosis does seam to be a major issue for people with asd. 

Children
No Data