Doubts about gender identity

My experience, based on a rather small sample, is that there is a strong overlap between being on the Spectrum and having at least some doubts about ones gender identity.  Possibly our lack of social awareness (= tact) means we are more ready to admit to something that most people would keep well hidden.  Possibly there is a real correlation.

At one point I found that of the four male Aspies regularly posting to a small forum, three had well developed female personas.  Too small a sample, but interesting.  Another forum member was a paintball ref and really one of the lads (and female).

Anyone else willing to speak for themselves?  Any parents noticed boyish girls or girlish boys?

Parents
  • Hi UK Aspie. It sounds like you were lucky.  There does seem to be a divide between religious groups that wont countenance such issues and those that feel they have a mission to put people right. I know of one that produced a newsletter purporting to have saved one individual from aspergers who was giving an interview in the newsletter about this salvation but was rather vague about the evidence for having aspergers.

Some of these groups try very hard to recruit token disability representatives, but there seems little regulatory control over what goes on as it is supposed an individual has a choice to disassociate. That's not always so easy for people on the spectrum, and they could be taken advantage of.

On the sexuality side I was made aware on one religious group ten years ago that was recruiting gays on the pretext of being friendly then detaining them against their will and trying to exorcise their sinful habits by force.

Does NAS have any insight into religious groups trying to adopt people on the spectrum and whether the best interests of the individuals is being served by this? I'm not saying such recruitment is necessarily bad, but I find it rather worrying nevertheless.

• Hi UK Aspie. It sounds like you were lucky.  There does seem to be a divide between religious groups that wont countenance such issues and those that feel they have a mission to put people right. I know of one that produced a newsletter purporting to have saved one individual from aspergers who was giving an interview in the newsletter about this salvation but was rather vague about the evidence for having aspergers.

Some of these groups try very hard to recruit token disability representatives, but there seems little regulatory control over what goes on as it is supposed an individual has a choice to disassociate. That's not always so easy for people on the spectrum, and they could be taken advantage of.

On the sexuality side I was made aware on one religious group ten years ago that was recruiting gays on the pretext of being friendly then detaining them against their will and trying to exorcise their sinful habits by force.

Does NAS have any insight into religious groups trying to adopt people on the spectrum and whether the best interests of the individuals is being served by this? I'm not saying such recruitment is necessarily bad, but I find it rather worrying nevertheless.

Children
No Data