Doubts about gender identity

My experience, based on a rather small sample, is that there is a strong overlap between being on the Spectrum and having at least some doubts about ones gender identity.  Possibly our lack of social awareness (= tact) means we are more ready to admit to something that most people would keep well hidden.  Possibly there is a real correlation.

At one point I found that of the four male Aspies regularly posting to a small forum, three had well developed female personas.  Too small a sample, but interesting.  Another forum member was a paintball ref and really one of the lads (and female).

Anyone else willing to speak for themselves?  Any parents noticed boyish girls or girlish boys?

Parents
  • Interesting....

In terms of how I identify myself, I am very definitely female. Absolutely 100%.

As far as society's pigeon-holes... I'm not a girly-girl, I like to wear clothes that are comfortable. And if you think I'm taking tweezers to my eyebrows etc you've got another think coming. But I'm definitely not a tomboy. I like skirts and dresses. And I don't object to makeup if I'm going out, although it's too much effort for every day. Make of that what you will.

Now in my case, I think my strong sense of female-ness has confused my understanding of my sexuality. I am beginning to suspect that I am not in fact bisexual, but that the biological imperative to procreate couple with the confusion of undiagnosed autism has caused me to confuse friendship for more. Lots more thought needed...

• Interesting....

In terms of how I identify myself, I am very definitely female. Absolutely 100%.

As far as society's pigeon-holes... I'm not a girly-girl, I like to wear clothes that are comfortable. And if you think I'm taking tweezers to my eyebrows etc you've got another think coming. But I'm definitely not a tomboy. I like skirts and dresses. And I don't object to makeup if I'm going out, although it's too much effort for every day. Make of that what you will.

Now in my case, I think my strong sense of female-ness has confused my understanding of my sexuality. I am beginning to suspect that I am not in fact bisexual, but that the biological imperative to procreate couple with the confusion of undiagnosed autism has caused me to confuse friendship for more. Lots more thought needed...

Children
No Data