Doubts about gender identity

My experience, based on a rather small sample, is that there is a strong overlap between being on the Spectrum and having at least some doubts about ones gender identity.  Possibly our lack of social awareness (= tact) means we are more ready to admit to something that most people would keep well hidden.  Possibly there is a real correlation.

At one point I found that of the four male Aspies regularly posting to a small forum, three had well developed female personas.  Too small a sample, but interesting.  Another forum member was a paintball ref and really one of the lads (and female).

Anyone else willing to speak for themselves?  Any parents noticed boyish girls or girlish boys?

Parents
  • Well now I DID mention Homosexuality. As the experience of gender dysphoria and homosexuality have no problem in holding hand from time to time and I think is pertanant.

This is a recognition of the observation rerarding presented mixed personas, the range of experience this can relate to is expansive and includes the question of both dysphoria in isolation and homosexuality as a finding in some as a result of initial dysphoria. The subject of sexual identity is vast and an area that in my opinion needs the broadest of approach and the gentlest of touches if any person is to find healthy expression and security.

With this issue and its deamons (not a miss spelling) size nines, preconceptions and prejudices of any nature will make the journey for any ASD Adult tough enough, never mind the specifics of this condition, (ASD and Dysphoria) and how it is handled by NT's with fears and agendas, Sexual experience  in its many forms as an off limits matter for anyone with ASD is a revisit to victoriana and a recipe for exploitation and abuse.

If there was a limit to the expectation of the subject dysphoria and its experiences, the issue of homosexuality was not part of that expectations, then I can understand your reserve, but get out more and read lots more!

Does anyone else have another view on any other aspects of gender dysphoria and identity.  There is room surely for this discussion to include Trans-sexuality? Coss-gender presentations? plain old confusion? any takers ? any givers?

Have some pride !

"Closet closed"

• Well now I DID mention Homosexuality. As the experience of gender dysphoria and homosexuality have no problem in holding hand from time to time and I think is pertanant.

This is a recognition of the observation rerarding presented mixed personas, the range of experience this can relate to is expansive and includes the question of both dysphoria in isolation and homosexuality as a finding in some as a result of initial dysphoria. The subject of sexual identity is vast and an area that in my opinion needs the broadest of approach and the gentlest of touches if any person is to find healthy expression and security.

With this issue and its deamons (not a miss spelling) size nines, preconceptions and prejudices of any nature will make the journey for any ASD Adult tough enough, never mind the specifics of this condition, (ASD and Dysphoria) and how it is handled by NT's with fears and agendas, Sexual experience  in its many forms as an off limits matter for anyone with ASD is a revisit to victoriana and a recipe for exploitation and abuse.

If there was a limit to the expectation of the subject dysphoria and its experiences, the issue of homosexuality was not part of that expectations, then I can understand your reserve, but get out more and read lots more!

Does anyone else have another view on any other aspects of gender dysphoria and identity.  There is room surely for this discussion to include Trans-sexuality? Coss-gender presentations? plain old confusion? any takers ? any givers?

Have some pride !

"Closet closed"

Children
No Data