Vegan food is great!

These are vegan sausages i used to make a vegan sausage casserole.

• and Money

yes, if you eat meat substutes, or what they advertise as trendy for vegans, and in my opinion that's not what veganism is about.

otherwise it's cheaper than being meat-eater

but you still need discipline, for many years at the begining, to stop thinking about eating meat

anyway it's the future of the mankind, either we want it or not

though I would be happiest to remain pescaterian/flexiterian

• Sounds like you need more zinc

•  I've been vegan since 04/05/2021 and in August, after 4 months, my appetite for any food whatsoever disappeared. I like that I lost weight, but food of any kind doesn't interest me, doesn't taste like anything, and the very thought of eating makes me vaguely nauseous. I will never go back to eating meat/diary, and I'm prepared for this to be permanent. Most of my life is an outhouse fire anyway, so I'll just get used to it.

• I've got super tasty receipe for a common ready meal from supermarkets in UK - sweet potato curry, my vegan friends love it, me too

I say yes to curry

• It certainly is. I had a wonderful curry last night, courtesy of my son who is visiting. We used all the old veg in the fridge. So quick and easy.

•  You've posted before on here with your Vegan lifestyle. And while it's fine to connect with other vegans, please be incredibly mindful that many Autistic individuals also have a LOT of gut issues which is a massively under-researched situation. 

I know many like myself, who cannot digest cruciferous veg, 90% of "grains" and pulses, including the peanut which is not a botanical nut. What I cannot digest, have an allergy to and could end up in hospital or worse basically makes up most of a Vegan diet. And being Autistic, desiring to 'fit in' some of the individuals here can be susceptible to things which Are Not Healthy for them. 

We live in an age of virtue signalling and shaming others into submission to lifestyles and diets like a religion, while corporations get away with over-processing and genetic modifications which far too many of us are the first in society to experience fierce sensitivity to. 3 biological females I know have experienced severe health issues since going Vegan. One had a hysterectomy, another is having breathing problems, severe gas and has just been told to get a hysterectomy and a younger one started having ear infections and losing her hair within 3 months of going vegan. 

I personally believe western society intakes double if not more than they actually need every day. And that we are intaking nutrient-depleted food. Minerals are stripped from the ground and from water. Humans are eating fruit and veg laced with all kinds of unnatural chemicals. 

Perhaps fasting one day a week (if you don't have low blood pressure) is good for most. Perhaps eating Vegan one or two days per week is a moderate and sensible thing. 

But Please be mindful you are not trying to impress, bear down on or create some kind of virtue hail on a site where many turn to overly confused, looking to sort through why they're marginalised and susceptible to any "Rules" possible to escape feeling lonely. Health and Well-being should come first. And that is not found in a diet but thinking holistically and listening to what one's needs are, not forcing the body into something which might be dangerous and, like Veganism, takes a good deal of discipline and Money to do well. x

• It is completely different. Ethical and religious reasons are not the same and, despite all religions teaching compassion, very few religious people truly show it. So, their religious practice is rarely ethical.

• It has some similarities. Foods that are acceptable and those that are not, parallels Judaism, Islam and Hinduism. It also has a fanatical wing that is not above breaking the law.

• Veganism is not a religion.

• I'm a biologist and terms have definite meanings in science. 

• I meant of value. I thought that would be clear. Maybe not.

• Not just about preservatives, it is completely devoid of nutrients, so contains no nutritional value whatsoever.

That is categorically not true. Any type of food that humans can digest has nutritional value. Any food containing carbohydrates that can be metabolised, ultimately to glucose, provides energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), fats and oils are broken down into lipids, which can also provide energy or the building blocks of lipid cell membranes etc., proteins are broken down into amino acids which are usually used to create human proteins, but can also be used to provide energy.

A 'Big Mac' contains carbohydrates, fats and proteins, therefore it has nutrients. You have confused 'nutrients' and 'nutrition' with an 'ideal diet'. An ideal diet has a great deal of variety, and contains all the necessary vitamins, minerals and trace elements for long term health. The ideal diet would consist of a variety of vegetables, fruits, cereals and modest amounts of meat and/or fish/seafood.

• Oh I'm really sorry, I don't know where you are getting your (research) information, but it is very misinformed. Veganism is NOT a religion and never has been. It is a social justice movement, and vegans believe every living being has a right to their own autonomy. Especially as what is taken from animals (their autonomy, and their lives) is unnecessary with healthy and more sustainable alternatives, from food to cars to building materials etc.
    The only connection between veganism and religion is the law they share when it comes to discrimination.

• Food is really all about flavours.

and meat tastes always the same

• Well, I'm not a religious person, because so far I was allowed to make a choice and I do my research on anything before I make a decision. That also applies to recent religions, like veganism. So, Amen to that.

• That's interesting, where do you get the 1 billion years time. Who has been able to scientifically state that? I said the Earth is dying at our hands, not that it will die. We will be gone as a species, hence being in the sixth mass extinction process, and earth, having already survived 4.6 billion years, will go on to regenerate and thrive again no doubt.

Fat people % is highest among unemployed

That is not true at all. Obesity doesn't come down to greediness but ignorance about nutrition And overweight people while less likely to be employed over someone who isn't overweight, and we won't get into discrimination in the work place, they do not make up the main factor for obesity. In fact, quite the opposite in many cases.

The issue with processed food is that it is not healthy if that is all that is consumed, as it contains preservatives.

Not just about preservatives, it is completely devoid of nutrients, so contains no nutritional value whatsoever.

The reasons why people are eating more meat is because they have become more efficient at producing meat, without the need to hunt wild animals.

No, the reason we eat more meat is that since the invention of the freezer, we have been able to store it. We are killing wild animals at an enormous rate JUST for meat production. Haven't you seen what's going on in the Amazon in Brazil and Peru? Wild animals are hunted and killed to preserve livestock all over the world. Humans and Livestock account for 96% of mammal biomass on the Earth now, that has a huge impact. If people still had to hunt animals themselves with just hand made tools, most people would be vegan. We have turned the killing of living beings into a production line, and we don't even bother thinking of our impact on their lives or the devastation we cause others in poorer countries.

Countries that has gone way past anything Homo Sapiens did, like North Korea are consuming least amounts of meat per day - in fact they sometimes have to eat grass.

I don't know what is going on in NK. There is a lot of poverty, and obviously a lot of dictatorship. I don't imagine they have the resources we do here, and yet still here people are dying in poverty.

I would stay away from tabloids like the Daily Mail. It's a disgusting paper that loves to distort the truth and segregate people. I don't read newspapers, but the only one I'll give time of day to is the Guardian.

Take care.

• Dying planet? That is not something you should worry about, because you will not live 1 billion of years to experience death of Earth.

Fat people % is highest among unemployed - they are very greedy for sure.

The issue with processed food is that it is not healthy if that is all that is consumed, as it contains preservatives.

The reasons why people are eating more meat is because they have become more efficient at producing meat, without the need to hunt wild animals. Top 5 meat producers(per capita) are Denmark, New Zealand, Ireland, Monsterrat and Uruguay - yeah, up till now I was not certain that imminent death of Earth is coming from these countries.

Countries that has gone way past anything Homo Sapiens did, like North Korea are consuming least amounts of meat per day - in fact they sometimes have to eat grass.

I do like variety in food and that applies to knowledge as well.

Well, as much I would like to give my solutions to all the world problems, let's not get carried away... I'm pretty sure, that being ASD comes with plenty of problems to solve. Like these:

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Autistic-man-sues-Sainsburys-banning-assistance-cat-supermarkets.html

I was thinking about maybe robot, that could be good assistant, but cats are even better.

• Ha and look where it has got us, now mostly fat, sedentary and on a dying planet because of our insatiable greed. Homo sapiens ate meat yes, but predominantly they ate plants, but this I'm sure depended on season too. However now, people eat animal products, mostly processed, at every meal. It has gone way way past anything homo sapiens did.

• I would add, that the reason why Humans have more developed brains than other primates is because they started to eat meat and it was important source of food for children of ancestors of humans - starting from 3 million years ago. That and also knowledge of fire and cooked meat and tools for hunt were known to ancestors of humans way before they became humans.

Brains of Homo Sapiens have developed, because of long history of eating meat.

• It is obvious from humans not having the large abdomen and long gut of great apes, who are essentially fructivore/herbivores, that humans are adapted to omnivory.  Apes are 'hind gut fermenters' they have large colons where commensal microbes help to break down cellulose and other plant polysaccharides. The colon is 17-23% of total gut volume in humans, while it is 52-54% in orangutans and chimpanzees. The take home message from comparative anatomy is that omnivory, including some fish and meat, is a more suitable diet for humans, than strict herbivory.