Is it right for NHS Speech & Language to discharge a non verbal ASD child?

Hi Everyone

I have received two letters from our local NHS Speech & Language service, whom my son has been under for 10 years, who have basically written if I do not contact them my non verbal son will be discharged or if I do not attend a workshop they want to provide ' I can show you what I need to feel more regulated' they will discharge him!

It is a complete slap in the face! Like after 10 years I wouldn't know what works to regulate my son!

His EHC Plan states speech and language assessments four times a year!

Has anyone else experienced this scenario? What did you do?

My son is still under a Paediatrician, hasn't seen him for 3/4 years and he hasn't discharged him so why are Speech & Language different when they are under the same NHS umbrella!

I am just blown away by the whole situation, that the NHS not only want to give up on my child but do not want to help us any further and should we want help we then go to the back of the waiting list!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Parents
  • I'm confused about your post. If I've read this right, they're saying that if you do not contact them.or do the workshop then they will discharge him - why do you not want to do that? 

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

As for the paediatrician, many NHS departments work differently. There isn't a blanket discharge policy in place across the whole of the NHS. 

• I'm confused about your post. If I've read this right, they're saying that if you do not contact them.or do the workshop then they will discharge him - why do you not want to do that? 

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

As for the paediatrician, many NHS departments work differently. There isn't a blanket discharge policy in place across the whole of the NHS. 

Children
No Data