Dealing with body dysmorphia and self esteem issues

So over the years I gained quite some weight due to depressive episodes and taking anti-depressants. Gaining weight isn't bad by any means but I feel like I don't have any control over this body and sometimes I feel repulsed by it... Actually that feeling doesn't only apply to my body image, but also my feeling of self worth as well

I've tried working out and dieting but I always end up getting obsessed with it to a point where it becomes unhealthy and another part of my OCD. 

So my question is... How can you cope with it? Is it even possible? 

Parents
  • Hi froufrou,

Welcome to the forum.

You mention OCD in your post. Do you have a diagnosis of OCD? If so, are you familiar with how it affects you?

In terms of the weight issue. Just to be clear, there's a vast difference between being depressed about your weight, body, and appearance and wanting to lose weight or tone up and the actual medical condition of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), which is the irrational and obsessive idea that some aspect of one's own body or appearance is severely flawed and therefore warrants exceptional measures to hide it (or fix it).

Because you mention BDD in the title of your post, I need to clarify whether you have you been diagnosed with
     Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

• Hi Michael, thanks for reaching out

I have only been officially diagnosed with autism and ADHD, but my OCD isn't officially diagnosed. I do see a therapist for OCD however, and they told me that my obsessive/compulsory behavior is part of me being autistic

• My OCD is mostly focussed on safety... like checking light switches, locks, power plugs, things that cause heat. It has been really bad in the past up to the point where I couldn't leave the house 

• i do that ! likewise I have not  been diagnosed with OCD.  I find my mild version a very dangerous and distressful trait and put a lot of work into fighting any repetitive thoughts. I also consider my repeating thoughts to be mainly part of my autism in fact it was part of the feedback from my autism assessment. I am getting more and more relaxed about them .... I label them as " ahhh having some repetitive thoughts"  OR    i try   "Ok My next thought will be ......... "

OR

i blast the thoughts with a Mantra for 5 - 10 minutes " Sa, Ta, Na, Ma " or " Sponge, bob, square, pants " if I am being bothered by them

• i do that ! likewise I have not  been diagnosed with OCD.  I find my mild version a very dangerous and distressful trait and put a lot of work into fighting any repetitive thoughts. I also consider my repeating thoughts to be mainly part of my autism in fact it was part of the feedback from my autism assessment. I am getting more and more relaxed about them .... I label them as " ahhh having some repetitive thoughts"  OR    i try   "Ok My next thought will be ......... "

OR

i blast the thoughts with a Mantra for 5 - 10 minutes " Sa, Ta, Na, Ma " or " Sponge, bob, square, pants " if I am being bothered by them

Children
No Data