Where to go

Recently I was asked to leave my job because I upset someone with what I said. What I said was actually a fact but someone decided that I was being unprofessional.

I can not give details as I have signed a none-disclosure agreement with financial compensation. What upsets me is the company knew I was being diagnosed, even their own group agreed I was on the spectrum. All this tells me is that I was asked to leave because of my Autism. At the moment all I would like to do is take the organisation to justice but finance, well lack of it, stops me. I know that I am not the first, and probably will not be the last.

I now feel that there is no point trying to get employment. I can see how my condition has affected my different careers. So I just potter through the day doing what needs to be done.

I am glad I joined here as it gives me a place to vent.

Thank you for reading.

Parents
  • Join the club of employment disasters, I am a pro and i am only 24 years old. I completely understand where you are coming from and from my own experience is usually the other worker who are unprofessional.

My Work coach tried explaining to me the reason why i keep getting fired, managed out and bullied to point of physical harm which gave me little relief. Basically he said that the reason i keep getting into these negative situation is because i am so desperate for getting employed i take the first employment opportunity available without questioning why the company employing me are so desperate for staff.

He then went on about how bad work environments are the normal because bad management or bad managers have worked out a system that separates people into four main groups to make their life easier.

Group 1) The workers who are competent at their job and don't cause their managers problems. 

Group 2) The workers who are not competent at their job and don't cause their managers problems.

Group 3) The workers who are competent at their job and complain and cause their managers problems. 

Group 4) The Worker who are not competent at their job and complain and cause their managers problems.

The work coach then stated to me that only (Group 1) and (Group 2) succeed in the workplace because (Group 1) Works themself silly to make up for (Group 2) lack of competence or poor work ethic but because the manager/Supervisor is not being pestered and the work getting done they Don't really care. This usually leaves (Group 2) with excess energy because they are not using their energy to work and complete tasks so they cause drama and problems for other staff members usually (group 3) and (Group 4).

The work coach then went on to explain to me why this sort of work environment is bad is because (Group 2) will usually feel intimidated by anyone new that would otherwise be considered (group 1) because they will show up and make (Group 2) look more incompetent. which is bad for workplace morale and productivity. but as long as manager/Supervisor are not be bothered they allow it to happen because interviewing and hiring is easier than dealing with (Group 2) because it takes more effort and continued effort eliminate (group 2) from the workplace.

The work coach then went on to say how people in (Group 1) moves on to another workplace that is isn't poorly managed and (Group 2) usually progresses to manager and supervisor in the same workplace where the cycles continues and occasionally the (Group 2) manager/supervisor folds under the pressure and quits or get fired for incompetence. 

the work coach went on to say that most autistic people fall in either (Group 1) OR (Group 3) because the autistic individual become a threat to (Group 2) because we unintentionally show them up by just getting on with work/task which leads to the autistic individuals being bullied at work by (Group 2). We autistic individuals then have a choice and it's usually an unfair one. we then have to make choice to report the bullying and become a classed as (Group 3) and then get fired, Managed out or we continue with the workplace harassment and bullying to keep our status as a (Group 1) but end up quitting or becoming physical harmed or disfigured. 

The Work coach then told me that most entry level jobs are poorly managed and because i'm autistic and i haven't had the opportunity to pursue a specialized interest through education and training that i'm going to go through this cycle over and over again. He then told me because of this reason i should stop applying for work because these poorly managed employment opportunities would put me in (Group 3) if i asked for any reasonable adjustment. 

I sometime feel stupid because it took a work coach to explain this to me, i genuinely didn't understand why i kept having the same problem with curtain people within the workplace and why they kept targeting me.                   

• Yep that makes sense.

I always knew something similar but that explained it perfectly.

Reply Children
No Data