Finding meaning in life

How do you all make your life feel meaningful? I am 42 single living with parents. No children no great achievements. I wanted to do more but feel life life never got started because mental illness got in the way. I cant save money because I spend when I feel bad which is often. I'm tired of feeling like lofe is going nowhere. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Didn't Camus also write 'The Fall?' (which gave Mark E Smith the name of his band)

• We didn't get any choice in staying away from Camus at school, as his novels The Outsider and The Plague came up for French A levels. 

This whole existentialist thing can be quite disturbing for a 17-yesr-old as done say all.hr big existentialist questions come up at this stage of adolescence anyway. 

Robert Smith must have been on the same syllabus too, hence his first famous hit, Killing an Arab. 

What I lived about L'etranger was the way Camus emphasises that he was condemned just because he did not respond to life in the way conventional hypocrisy expected him to. He was supposed to be piously cut up about his mother's death, but he wasn't.

Still, Camus certainly knew how to shock and in retrospect I liked him for that, too. 'My mother died yesterday. Or it might have been the day before, I can't quite remember.'

As for The Plague, that's got popular again, no prizes for guessing why. I liked him for his humanity and the way he expressed so much disgust for capital punishment. But I first read it at 13.

• maybe when i get more time I will read some of his stufff i find u can always learn new ways of thinkin it actually helps ime n my work to approach things from a new angle new ways of thinking. 

• For example the thing with camus and Sisyphus, he's using it as a metaphor about the meaninglessness to life. 

He tells you that despite the meaningless, endless day to day of Sisyphus rolling a rock up a hill for the rest of his that you should 'Imagine Sisyphus smiling' 

• He said that suicide was the only rational idea (something akin to that) but he didn't suggest suicide was a thing people should do. But instead to accept the absurdity of life.  

• Yeah, that's before he realised he was just being dramatic & turned his life around. Same with Carl Jung, who was probably bipolar.