Finding meaning in life

How do you all make your life feel meaningful? I am 42 single living with parents. No children no great achievements. I wanted to do more but feel life life never got started because mental illness got in the way. I cant save money because I spend when I feel bad which is often. I'm tired of feeling like lofe is going nowhere. 

Parents
  • I found satisfaction volunteering to help others but with very hard limits to my involvement - my 'giving' personality would very easily get taken advantage of so I need clear boundaries and start and stop limits.

I found that helping out with the Explorer Scouts ticked the box - it's only a couple of hours per week with clearly defined times.

It meant that i got to interact with people and got to do exciting stuff with the kids - and as they're 14-18 year old, it's proper, semi-dangerous stuff like shooting, raft building, Go-Ape, climbing, abseiling, archery etc.    

As it's all about the activities, it's not taxing on my social skills - it's all about being sensible and lots of comfortable rules.    As an adult, the scouts also have all sorts of training available like first aid and all the child protection / safeguarding courses.

It gives a good feeling of achievement and you get to try out and master all the skills - which is all good CV fodder..

• I found satisfaction volunteering to help others but with very hard limits to my involvement - my 'giving' personality would very easily get taken advantage of so I need clear boundaries and start and stop limits.

I found that helping out with the Explorer Scouts ticked the box - it's only a couple of hours per week with clearly defined times.

It meant that i got to interact with people and got to do exciting stuff with the kids - and as they're 14-18 year old, it's proper, semi-dangerous stuff like shooting, raft building, Go-Ape, climbing, abseiling, archery etc.    

As it's all about the activities, it's not taxing on my social skills - it's all about being sensible and lots of comfortable rules.    As an adult, the scouts also have all sorts of training available like first aid and all the child protection / safeguarding courses.

It gives a good feeling of achievement and you get to try out and master all the skills - which is all good CV fodder..

Children
No Data