Finding meaning in life

How do you all make your life feel meaningful? I am 42 single living with parents. No children no great achievements. I wanted to do more but feel life life never got started because mental illness got in the way. I cant save money because I spend when I feel bad which is often. I'm tired of feeling like lofe is going nowhere. 

Parents
  • My meaning in life that started to get developed through my thirties is to help others and to make good, meaningful connections with people.

I think it's unlikely I'll have children and I've come to think of people in general as my children/my brethren/my crew. People are my people and I want to care for them.

This purpose developed for me from how good I felt working in a job that helped people get control of their diabetes. The feeling felt so right, it became a general purpose in life.

• My meaning in life that started to get developed through my thirties is to help others and to make good, meaningful connections with people.

I think it's unlikely I'll have children and I've come to think of people in general as my children/my brethren/my crew. People are my people and I want to care for them.

This purpose developed for me from how good I felt working in a job that helped people get control of their diabetes. The feeling felt so right, it became a general purpose in life.

Children
  • I actually want to be normal, after being a misfit for so long. However, I received quite a few kicks in the teeth.

I want to pass on my values to any children I have. Only dead fish go with the flow. Too many kids are just expected to have mountains of toys/devices and the parents soon realise that the kids are down a rabbit-hole.