Advice needed!

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this and haven't had the opportunity to talk to other parents with autistic children or anyone autistic themselves before so it will be nice to get some advice and be able to hopefully find people who have been through the same problems and get some much needed support. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with Autism a couple of years ago and he has bad anxiety and sensory issues. He doesn't cope well with loud noises, especially people shouting - it really frightens him even if someone changes the tone of their voice. He doesn't like touch or certain lights or smells and all of this together makes school extremely difficult for him. On the other hand he is extremely bright and way above average on every aspect of learning and somewhat masks his true feelings at school as he's too scared to be his true self in case someone confronts him. I struggle to get him in most days and the guilt I feel every time I have to leave him there makes my heart break. He is severely struggling with his school environment and I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall when trying to get help from the school. His sensory issues are not being dealt with within school and I'm having to listen to him cry himself to sleep due to how stressed and frightened he is of going back the next day. When he has meltdowns he is saying he can't cope with life and doesn't want to be alive anymore because of going to school and how unbearable it is. I have tried to get an EHCP from the school as advised from his last occupational therapist but his Senco is saying because his education and learning is so good and he is so bright they won't be able to give him one as its emotional support he needs and not educational. I believe he will never be able to cope within a mainstream school as he is so misunderstood and I think he would thrive in a special school where they can understand the support he needs. I can't get him into a special school without the EHCP and my only other option is to home school as I can't bare to see him so unhappy any longer. I've been fighting this fight with his school for 4 years now and I'm not getting anywhere. To home school I'd have to give up work and i don't know how we would get by financially but I can't see any other options right now. I'm so worried for his mental health and I just don't know where to turn for the help he needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou in advance :)
Parents
  • I would look into the home - schooling route if you can. I was very much the same between the ages of 4 - 8, when I finally stopped crying every day of school. But in essence, the damage was done. I'd hate to see that happen to your son, or for you to feel guilty forever. 

I've no idea how hard it can be as a parent of an ASD child, despite having lived with my ex-partner's child. It's a full - time job, & I wouldn't entrust it to any jobsworth teacher or school. They don't care like you will, they're there for the majority & to tick boxes.

You'll be surprised what you can live without. I live on an amount now I never could've considered 10 years ago, it can be done. You can do it.

• I would look into the home - schooling route if you can. I was very much the same between the ages of 4 - 8, when I finally stopped crying every day of school. But in essence, the damage was done. I'd hate to see that happen to your son, or for you to feel guilty forever. 

I've no idea how hard it can be as a parent of an ASD child, despite having lived with my ex-partner's child. It's a full - time job, & I wouldn't entrust it to any jobsworth teacher or school. They don't care like you will, they're there for the majority & to tick boxes.

You'll be surprised what you can live without. I live on an amount now I never could've considered 10 years ago, it can be done. You can do it.

Children
No Data