Advice while awaiting diagnostic colonoscopy

Currently, I am awaiting a diagnostic colonoscopy after red flag found. I have Aspergers Syndrome and live on my own so considering Entonox and/or pain killer but no sedation.

I am seeking any advice on my circumstances?

Thanks, R

Parents
  • I REALLY recommend taking someone with you - I had one last week and I had Entonox & sedation - so I wasn't paddling with all my oars in the water afterwards.   I needed someone to be aware of what was going on around me and advocate for me because I get very, very stressed about it all.

The sedation meant I couldn't drive afterwards,

• I was going to mention that too. My wife took me home both times, I wasn't quite sure what was going on,  as my memory was affected : )

For the heart ultra sound, I was given a Sedative as part of the procedure. For the Endoscopy, I remember two nurses trying to persuade me not to have a Sedative, but I insisted on it and so got one : )

If you haven't got anyone to take with you, you'll have to stay at the hospital for some hours, to get the sedative out of your system. You might be advised to get a taxi back home.

• I was going to mention that too. My wife took me home both times, I wasn't quite sure what was going on,  as my memory was affected : )

For the heart ultra sound, I was given a Sedative as part of the procedure. For the Endoscopy, I remember two nurses trying to persuade me not to have a Sedative, but I insisted on it and so got one : )

If you haven't got anyone to take with you, you'll have to stay at the hospital for some hours, to get the sedative out of your system. You might be advised to get a taxi back home.

Children
  • Also, if you play the autism card at expert level, your helper *can* be with you all the way through - an extra pair of eyes during the procedure - as long as they have a strong stomach!  Smiley      My wife has been through loads of them with me.