Advice while awaiting diagnostic colonoscopy

Currently, I am awaiting a diagnostic colonoscopy after red flag found. I have Aspergers Syndrome and live on my own so considering Entonox and/or pain killer but no sedation.

I am seeking any advice on my circumstances?

Thanks, R

Parents
  • When I had a transoesophageal echocardiogram (A heart examination, where an ultrasound probe was fed down my throat) and an endoscopy -  I elected for a Sedative . I'm not sure what they used but, I remember being given the drug (through my canular) and then no memory of anything to do with the procedure. The next thing I remembered was being in mid conversation with a nurse in the recovery room. It was like I had lost my short-term memory, because I had to be conscience during the procedure and following instructions -  but I just didn't remember anything about it.

So I would definitely recommend it and don't let them try and put you off giving you the sedative.

At some point soon, being over 55, I will be offered a Colonoscopy and will definitely play the Autism card and ask for the sedative : )

One final piece of advice, if during the Colonoscopy, you need to break wind, - just do it. It will only be air and so not smell. My friend tried to hold it in and it was very, very painful for him.

• When I had a transoesophageal echocardiogram (A heart examination, where an ultrasound probe was fed down my throat) and an endoscopy -  I elected for a Sedative . I'm not sure what they used but, I remember being given the drug (through my canular) and then no memory of anything to do with the procedure. The next thing I remembered was being in mid conversation with a nurse in the recovery room. It was like I had lost my short-term memory, because I had to be conscience during the procedure and following instructions -  but I just didn't remember anything about it.

So I would definitely recommend it and don't let them try and put you off giving you the sedative.

At some point soon, being over 55, I will be offered a Colonoscopy and will definitely play the Autism card and ask for the sedative : )

One final piece of advice, if during the Colonoscopy, you need to break wind, - just do it. It will only be air and so not smell. My friend tried to hold it in and it was very, very painful for him.

Children
No Data