Burnout and Routine (especially exercise)

Another question I'm afraid....

I'm trying to keep going despite what (I guess) can only really be burnout and as a result I don't have the energy to stick to my usual routines.

Just to clarify, my comfort and order comes from my fitness regime: Pilates every morning, walk every lunchtime and cycling, SUP or kettlebells whenever I can - but I barely have the energy to move at the moment and my routine - my safety net - is falling apart.

Does anyone else experience this and if so - how do you deal with it?  and more importantly, how can I get back to keeping my fitness up?

(I have to add that burnout anxiety ruins my sleep.  I drop off beautifully but wake frequently from vivid nightmares, which really isn't helpful!)

Any tips gratefully received Slight smile

• i do ,,,  i can work (hard Physical work) for 2-3 hours then suddenly my energy deflates. If i dont stop at this point, because my coordination worsens, I can injure myself. So I usually stop and if I sit down I can feel my energy just going/leaving my body. I find it hard to keep my eyes open. At ths point I do 1 of 2 things 

A. I take a nap ( 1 hour )

B. NEW I do a meditation  30-40 minutes

then afterwards I eat a high dosage of sugar eg sweets chocalate or couple glasses of coke  and after 20 minutes or so I am full of energy again

I go for another 2/3 hours and repeat the cycle.

I found trying to fight my shutdown can put me in a very foul state of mind (eg I become very nasty with people ) so thats why I let my shutdown happen. I have no idea if I am doing the right thing. But I no longer worry about it.  I have learnt  to work around it now. 

• I entered a 'Million Step Challenge' to raise money for a suicide prevention charity until I had to bail out after four-hundred-thousand steps due to exhaustion. At that time, I was meant to start a weekend job making PPE masks but got diarrhoea at the induction period. (I would have been furloughed anyway)

Stress is my Modus Operandi.

• raining cats and dogs here big thunder storm really beautiful Slight smile

• Thanks for the replies.  I'm perfectly fit - passed my 40+ medical with flying colours! 

I do have a lot of pain related to joint hypermobility and have found that I can only do Kundalini form of Yoga without it causing me issues  - I love it, but I definitely have to be in a class situation to truly relax and focus, at home there's always something else to be done which is why I do more movement based stuff.

Not exercising makes me itchy inside my skin, but trying and failing because I'm so worn out with coping in this wierd Covid 19 world doesn't help much either!

• I think I can relate to this... It is hard not to exercise when it helps to calm your system like nothing else does. Good idea to rule out any underlying health conditions first by talking to your GP. Then if all is OK.... How about trying replacing some of the more energetic activities with gentle restorative yoga? The poses in this type of yoga provide you with lots of proprioceptive and deep tactile input which people find calming. The focus is on really looking after your mind and body too so might be helpful for you.

Good luck hope you find something that helps. 

• If what you're describing is burnout, then a break in routine seems to help a lot of people. Not that the routine itself is bad, but everyone needs a break from time to time. So try breaking your routine in some way - doesn't have to be everything, maybe just changing one part every now and then. Read up on burnout and try some of the suggestions they mention on there x

• I would reccoumend going doctor and getting blood tests done to check for underlying issues. Also make sure you arent under weight ( over doing it ) and your diet matches your exercise calorie usage.