This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can psychosis ever be part of autism??

I kind of what some answers to this once and for all. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at very nearly 16 (I'm now 21) having struggled all my life with anxiety and depression, had an eating disorder etc (all the classic Aspie girl stuff). About two years later, I had a mental health crisis. With hindsight, it was a result of issues I'd always had, but my moods and behaviour became more and more erratic over several months - I felt like death; I remember lying in dark rooms in excruciating mental pain, carefully planning how I would kill myself, sitting awake all night staring at walls with glazed eyes, hiding in cupboards at school unable to lift my head but then running around a few hours later, buying £100 worth of cakes and giggling and hallucinating diamonds on the pavement. Long story short, I ended up collapsed on the floor in the middle of town having run away from school, bleeding, screaming, I'd written the word 'liar' all over myself in marker pen, I was hearing voices, believing people were out to kill me, and I ended up having to be restrained and put in a police car; I was then taken home, and for some reason neither I or my family understand I was not offered any more intensive treatment (despite the police arranging a mental health act assessment: it either never happened or I don't remember it! I do remember a really horrible man coming round from the primary care mental health service the following day and utterly victim-blaming me, saying it was 'about choices' and all I needed to do was 'make an effort', and telling me I was having delusional thoughts in a very accusing tone which is not what you're meant to do when someone is having a psychotic episode). My GP just gave my parents a packet of Valium and told them to give it to me every four hours, including throughout the night, with the anti-psychotics I had already been prescribed by a private psychiatrist I was seeing, and told them to 'keep me safe and let nature take its course', so essentially my parents, who had jobs and my two younger sisters to look after, had to become psychiatric nurses in their own home. The worst thing for me was the effect this had on my family, and that the social services called a couple of days later to see if my sisters were safe from their out-of-control sister, when I would never lay a finger on my little sisters whether I was in crisis or not; I was the one in danger and I didn't see an NHS mental health professional for a month after seeing the vile primary care guy. But that's life I suppose.

Parents Reply Children
No Data