Coping with Covid-19

I'm currently in self-isolation and I know that many of us are feeling anxious/isolated, so I thought I'd share a really useful video by Purple Ella on coping with the Covid-19 pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpvdMVnfGs&t=12s

Here are some tips for activities that have been keeping me busy while I self-isolate:

• Housework (especially the jobs that I've been putting off for a while)
  • Creative writing
  • Reading
  • Watching TV shows and films
  • Playing video games
  • Playing piano
  • Adult colouring books
  • Puzzle books/activity books
  • Keeping in touch with people via social media, or over the phone
  • I'm intending to use a fitness app I have to help me with some exercise, but I haven't got around to that yet Slight smile

Also, some advice on how I'm helping myself stay healthy:

• Drinking plenty of water
  • Continuing to wear my Fitbit so that I notice when I'm not moving around often enough
  • Eating three good meals a day
  • Treating myself (e.g. to a piece of cake) when I feel like it, without going overboard on the snacks
  • Limiting the amount of time I spend on social media and news channels - whilst the Covid-19 updates are helpful, a constant stream of information (some accurate, some not) isn't always helpful for my anxiety levels.

I hope some of these tips are helpful - stay safe and take care of yourselves.

Parents
  • Honestly, the isolation thing hasn't been that huge of a change for me.  The thing that's annoying me the most this very second is the lack of fresh groceries.  I miss my salad!  But even if I could get the produce, for now I feel like it's just a bad idea to eat anything that someone else might have handled - but won't have heat applied to it prior to consumption.  Sigh.

Keeping myself busy with the usual things, walking my dogs (at night and/or early morning so there's nobody around), working out (alone, at home, as usual), working/tinkering with tech stuff, a little bit of casual studying, some video games, youtube and catching up with whatever TV/films I feel like watching.  My nephew's recently crashed his car and has been having a pretty bad time all round lately, so I'm hoping to give him a hand to get that straightened out in the coming days.

Also, today I've set up BOINC to crunch numbers for Rosetta@home on my home lab.  Ok, so this doesn't exactly help directly in coping with current events, but hopefully can make some small contribution toward the eventual development of a vaccine.

• Im running Folding@Home (and have done since the projects started in 2000).  They have already made some progress on Covid-19 and published it and it has now aligned with even more labs around the world working on a cure.  Also add on the 10x more donors.  We are on the verge of hitting 1 exaFLOPS of power, roughly 4x more powerful than the worlds fastest supercomputer.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

I will be bringing another GPU online later, a 970 thats been sat in a wardrobe, that will join my 1050ti.  Thats some extra work done everyday.

I am also hammering the gym. on a daily basis.  lots of weight training, bits of cardio.  that is about an hour everyday.

Slowly im coming to the point of acceptamce of the current situation.  Well its either going to be that or a probable addiction to diazepam. Wink  One way or the other I will get through it.  Then going to hit the local autism centre and get involved.

• Im running Folding@Home (and have done since the projects started in 2000).  They have already made some progress on Covid-19 and published it and it has now aligned with even more labs around the world working on a cure.  Also add on the 10x more donors.  We are on the verge of hitting 1 exaFLOPS of power, roughly 4x more powerful than the worlds fastest supercomputer.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

I will be bringing another GPU online later, a 970 thats been sat in a wardrobe, that will join my 1050ti.  Thats some extra work done everyday.

I am also hammering the gym. on a daily basis.  lots of weight training, bits of cardio.  that is about an hour everyday.

Slowly im coming to the point of acceptamce of the current situation.  Well its either going to be that or a probable addiction to diazepam. Wink  One way or the other I will get through it.  Then going to hit the local autism centre and get involved.

Children
  • I'm running on CPUs only for now as I'd have to provide external power to any GPUs (server boards with hot swap PSUs and no provision for PCIe power), it'd be messy.  I do have other GPU friendly hardware lying around that could be put to work, but my concern is the impact this would have on my already ridiculous electricity bill.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just too old to train every day lol.  Plus I'm an ectomorph, so that frequency is of the least benefit to me in terms of gains.  I usually aim for around three two hour sessions per week, with the focus being on lifting heavy while maintaining form, with longer rest intervals between sets.  Can't be bothered with cardio if I'm honest, even when cutting it just seems like a lot of work for little benefit (strictly my opinion, feel free to ignore).

Probably seems quite sad to normal people, this weird guy lifting weights alone at home, but for me it's just something I've always enjoyed, and really a simple form of self improvement that even I can do and draw satisfaction from.  I'm sure it must be nice to be able to go to the gym, I just don't want to deal with the whole 'other people' aspect of that scenario, regardless of Covid-19.  Sweat, noise and unwanted attention, it's just not for me.

• It's brilliant that you're able to get involved and help out Slight smile Sounds like you're taking some good steps to take care of yourself too.