Do stress assessments in the work setting work for autistic employees if they are designed for neurotypicals?

Hi, I work for the NHS 3 days a week.  Our service has been reorganised at short notice, we have been relocated, given new technology without adequate training and we are short of staff.

We are all stressed in various ways and the Managers are monitoring this.  My line Manager wants to do a Stress Test on me (I'm an Aspie), does anyone know if such tests for Neurotypicals are appropriate to Aspies/Austists??   Things that stress me (not achieving things and noisy overcrowded meeting rooms are not what stress NTs).  Has anyone any experience of this?

Parents
  • Thank you for that feedback DuckBread!  That's what I was thinking.  This weeks meeting contained a uniform audit which we all 'passed' and later in the meeting the same line manager (not mine) sent the paper work back round the room saying she could clearly see many of us didn't comply and to fail ourselves - which we did.  At my Supervision I told my line manager that at best that was unhelpful and at worst it was bullying!  Often I'm not sure how others see things so I don't respond immediately .  My line manager said she did challenge her at the meeting by saying "are you really going to do this now?"  as she understood morale was already low.  Other staff argued that we were not in a clinical setting therefore shouldn't be failed on hair being on collar etc... My ID badge dropped off twice last week, so to avoid losing it I swapped the lanyard for my 'Hidden Disabilities' sunflower one. -  Another failure!  I've since been told the Uniform Policy states the lanyard must be clean, not that it needs to have the NHS logo on it.  These have to be purchased, they are not given to us.  I'm sticking to my guns on this one: I work for the only trust with NAS accreditation status, so I think I should be allowed to wear it, not to help me necessarily but to let patients and carers know that I have greater understanding of these things.  This week I had to assess a new patient who had Asperger's and I think I did a very good job!

I did the HADS test for Work & a separate one for home and surprise, surprise, I'm not depressed but am significantly stressed at work but not at home.  

Do you think I should excuse myself from the next meeting?   I have a tendency to do what's expected and not notice how badly it's affecting me until afterwards.  

• That other line manager sounds like she just enjoys power - she's clearly getting at people for some very petty things. I also can't see the problem with wearing the sunflower lanyard.

Your own line manager sounds more reasonable, so I'd probably try talking to her about missing the next meeting. 

• I will, thank you for helping.

• No problem - hope things get better for you.

Reply Children
No Data