I don't know what to do anymore

I was diagnosed with autism recently, though it has been an ongoing process for many months. I also have anxiety

I am struggling with everything at the moment - everything is too noisy or bright or loud (more so than it has ever been), my uni work is incredibly hard, i'm exhausted, I can't think straight and I'm obsessing over my finances. I come from a low income, single-parent household who cant afford to give me any money, but my student loan isn't enough to cover living costs and other costs such as the cost of my autism assessment. I now don't have enough money for rent despite being careful all semester. I'm scared. I also have exams and deadlines over the next few weeks.

On top of this, I can't tell my family about my autism because of how they react. They are very conservative and old fashioned and talk about mental illnesses (i.e. anxiety and depession) and other conditions as a weakness and something to be ashamed of - I don't want them to do this about me. 

I can't cope, I want to cry all the time and the only time I feel calm and/or focused is though pain - usually I can get tattoos or piercings, but I obviously can't afford that at the moment. I'm scared I might turn to self harm for help in the future. 

Also, I am having CBT for my anxiety, but all they keep telling me to do is to expose myself to the things I hate and to do spontaneous things - but this just stresses me out more. I've tried to tell him that I'm autistic, but he's not listening. 

I don't want to eat at the moment, drink or leave my room. Can someone please give me some advice, I really don't know what to do...

Parents
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. As Hannah said, definitely talk to your tutor, and your student support services. Perhaps your GP too? They should be told that the CBT isn't helping. But self care is important too, so make sure you eat, and try, hard though it is, to get a little fresh air.

But most importantly, talk to someone. Help is out there xxx

• I'm so sorry you're going through this. As Hannah said, definitely talk to your tutor, and your student support services. Perhaps your GP too? They should be told that the CBT isn't helping. But self care is important too, so make sure you eat, and try, hard though it is, to get a little fresh air.

But most importantly, talk to someone. Help is out there xxx

Children