Feeling bad with guilt

Okay it seems what I wrote caused a misunderstanding. I wasn’t saying mental illness makes people arseholes. I worded it in such a way that it may have appeared that way. When I said I can’t tell if the person in question is a person who is an arsehole who happens to have a diagnosis, I didn’t mean that the mental illness made him an arsehole, when I also said (and I realise now it should have been worded better) was that I was trying to decipher if his mental illness was making him act like an arsehole.... when I wrote that I was in the mind set of saying someone ‘acting like an arsehole’ isn’t the same as saying they are one. Hence the ‘acting like’ bit of the sentence, more sensitively it should have been written as something like, “or if his mental illnesses makes him act out” 

the person in question has been abusive towards me for years consistently. 

Sorry for the insensitive wording of my post I didn’t intend to come across insensitive 

• I’m not saying mental illness makes a person an arsehole. What I’m getting at is knowing if someone is an arsehole who happens to have a diagnosis (so the diagnosis gets used as an excuse when they’re actually just a bad person who happens to have a diagnosis) 

as for getting people round to assess him, he has a social worker and he gets assessed, he’s never considered ill enough for them to do anything. 

His abusive behaviour has been like this for years. 

• Having a mental illness doesn't make someone an arsehole! It might make them behave in ways that are out of character, it may make them act in a way that is disturbed, it may make them experience alternative states of internal reality. But it doesn't make them an arsehole! If you genuinely suspect that his behaviour is due to a psychiatric breakdown of some description then maybe contact the local Mental health crisis team and ask them to assess him.