Paranoia

Does anyone here suffer from a tendency towards paranoia?  I suffer from it a lot, particularly in situations when I have to conform and blend in.

If people are talking or whispering, I assume it's about me.

Even strangers who pass in the street - if they smile or whisper to each other I worry it's about me.

I guess I worry that I am so bad at picking up social cues, I am the butt of everyone's jokes  - or - missing out on important information.

Having a really awful day today, tried to cheer myself up posting some silly things but I feel like a stupid dork and want to harm myself now.

Parents
  • Hi,

yes. I get it especially when on bad days. Though I've cued myself to try recognise it as just a product of my AS and go through a 'reality check' So I don't believe I'm clinically paranoid, it's just many years of social difficulties as others in this thread have also said.

Bad days can also make me feel there are bad vibes going on somewhere nearby- in the workplace mostly. It makes me stressed and very insecure. 

• hi, thanks for your reply.  Yes, in the workplace it can be toxic.  Sometimes I think they are plotting to make me redundant or exclude me from interesting projects. I don't really pick up vibes properly and often I'm the last to know about something because I don't engage in gossip. There is often 1 true reason here or there for the paranoia that generates  99 more false ones.

• Do you take things literally?

I do and when certain comments are used then the insecurity/paranoia builds up.  If something is said that can be taken the wrong way then do not say it especially to someone that has Black/White logical thinking.

• Yes, that's a biggie with me.  I get tangled up in some quite bad misunderstandings because I take everything literally. Is there any other meaning ? ;-)

Reply Children
No Data