Paranoia

Does anyone here suffer from a tendency towards paranoia?  I suffer from it a lot, particularly in situations when I have to conform and blend in.

If people are talking or whispering, I assume it's about me.

Even strangers who pass in the street - if they smile or whisper to each other I worry it's about me.

I guess I worry that I am so bad at picking up social cues, I am the butt of everyone's jokes  - or - missing out on important information.

Having a really awful day today, tried to cheer myself up posting some silly things but I feel like a stupid dork and want to harm myself now.

Parents
  • Definitely! The first time that word really turned up in my world was with the release of the Black Sabbath LP, Paranoid. I enquired the meaning of the word, but to be honest it was already blatantly obvious from the lyrics. My immediate feeling was that I too tended to paranoia. I won't bother to describe its effect, which others here have detailed already. But I still figure that I am just a shade more paranoid than some others; even with my tendency to brush these things off with humour.

• Definitely! The first time that word really turned up in my world was with the release of the Black Sabbath LP, Paranoid. I enquired the meaning of the word, but to be honest it was already blatantly obvious from the lyrics. My immediate feeling was that I too tended to paranoia. I won't bother to describe its effect, which others here have detailed already. But I still figure that I am just a shade more paranoid than some others; even with my tendency to brush these things off with humour.

Children