Paranoia

Does anyone here suffer from a tendency towards paranoia?  I suffer from it a lot, particularly in situations when I have to conform and blend in.

If people are talking or whispering, I assume it's about me.

Even strangers who pass in the street - if they smile or whisper to each other I worry it's about me.

I guess I worry that I am so bad at picking up social cues, I am the butt of everyone's jokes  - or - missing out on important information.

Having a really awful day today, tried to cheer myself up posting some silly things but I feel like a stupid dork and want to harm myself now.

Parents
  • Does anyone here suffer from a tendency towards paranoia?

Yes, Me, but My advice is "Paranoia" is a thing to learn about and to heed, just like any other Sense - just like Sight or Hearing: If One hears or sees something coming to engage You, then that is the time to pay attention and perhaps to Act... or in this case, "be paranoid". Paranoia is also often dismissed by others, just like "over-sensitive" sight or hearing, too... because it is aimed at Yourself, others can dismiss it as "just imagining things", because what happens is likely not aimed at *them*...

I hope this is so far understood. I shall say some other things, mostly about My own experience(s) now. *External* matters are the cause of paranoia, as if something had occurred to trigger that awareness, and keep it so high a concern. Just like having once being partly blinded or deafened, there is an awareness there. The BIG problem & trick is to "manage" it, and learn from it...

There is a difference between Paranoia and *Justified Paranoia*. If beginning, start simply, by not projecting it or assuming it of all others --- e.g. "stand tall and ignore others". When the paranoia is justified, then pay quick attention to the feeling and get used to it. People who really are whispering or plotting against You, will usually show it via body language or actions. Then learn about that and see what happens, and even if nothing happens just then, remember it and get used to it.

...I cannot really advise much more, since everyone is different and this leads onto lots of different topics (e.g. body language, gestures, bullying, etc.) But I am posting this anyway, to mostly say to not dismiss things totally but rather to take into perspective direction towards a learning situation. 

• Does anyone here suffer from a tendency towards paranoia?

Yes, Me, but My advice is "Paranoia" is a thing to learn about and to heed, just like any other Sense - just like Sight or Hearing: If One hears or sees something coming to engage You, then that is the time to pay attention and perhaps to Act... or in this case, "be paranoid". Paranoia is also often dismissed by others, just like "over-sensitive" sight or hearing, too... because it is aimed at Yourself, others can dismiss it as "just imagining things", because what happens is likely not aimed at *them*...

I hope this is so far understood. I shall say some other things, mostly about My own experience(s) now. *External* matters are the cause of paranoia, as if something had occurred to trigger that awareness, and keep it so high a concern. Just like having once being partly blinded or deafened, there is an awareness there. The BIG problem & trick is to "manage" it, and learn from it...

There is a difference between Paranoia and *Justified Paranoia*. If beginning, start simply, by not projecting it or assuming it of all others --- e.g. "stand tall and ignore others". When the paranoia is justified, then pay quick attention to the feeling and get used to it. People who really are whispering or plotting against You, will usually show it via body language or actions. Then learn about that and see what happens, and even if nothing happens just then, remember it and get used to it.

...I cannot really advise much more, since everyone is different and this leads onto lots of different topics (e.g. body language, gestures, bullying, etc.) But I am posting this anyway, to mostly say to not dismiss things totally but rather to take into perspective direction towards a learning situation. 

Children