Hearing voices

Has anyone any information or experience of hearing conversations, whistling in your head??? Does anyone know if this is connected to ASD??

Parents
  • I have what can best be described as super pattern matching. its overactive though and will attempt to make sense of random or garbled input by matching it to spoken words. When I brush my teeth it sounds like a couple arguing. 

• Yes I often hear words out of noises, but also I hear speech as noises (most particularly on phonecalls). If you hear specific noises (particularly constant pitch) this is most likely tinnitus. I sometimes hear my own thoughts very loudly as if it's someone talking, but I know it's my own thoughts. Having read other posts on this forum it would suggest there are linkages to ASD, in this "super pattern matching" context. However, if you are hearing genuine conversations, or the voices are distressing you or asking you to do things, you should see your doctor. OCD is quite a common co-morbid condition with ASD, which is another possibility, intrusive thoughts. 

• Yes I often hear words out of noises, but also I hear speech as noises (most particularly on phonecalls). If you hear specific noises (particularly constant pitch) this is most likely tinnitus. I sometimes hear my own thoughts very loudly as if it's someone talking, but I know it's my own thoughts. Having read other posts on this forum it would suggest there are linkages to ASD, in this "super pattern matching" context. However, if you are hearing genuine conversations, or the voices are distressing you or asking you to do things, you should see your doctor. OCD is quite a common co-morbid condition with ASD, which is another possibility, intrusive thoughts. 

Children
No Data