Greta Thunberg is freaking me out.

Greta Thunberg is really freaking me out. I agree with some of what she says like "Fossil fuels should be banned by 2030" and "Meat and dairy should be banned". But only half of what she says is directly related to global warming; the rest of it is her bullying people, calling people names like "Spastic", "Wimp" and "Weak'o" and saying stuff like "I want you to panic", "I hope your house burns down" and "You must do exactly as I say". She is basically a mean girl with heckloads of power. Millions of kind young people are supporting this nasty girl and her protests are in 2,000 cities in 120 countries. And then she says stuff like "Stop road-building" and "Destroy airports" which makes me angry. Why does it have to be her? Why couldn't it be another, nicer person? Why couldn't you just ditch her and set up your own group when you discovered she was so horrid?

Parents
  • Climate scientists have been alarmed by a mysterious rise in levels of atmospheric methane, reports New ScientistThe greenhouse gas is shorter-lived than CO2, but far more potent (one tonne of methane is thought to have at least 28 times the warming potential of a tonne of CO2), and so relatively small increases can have a significant impact.  The amount of methane finding its way into the atmosphere has been rising since 2007, but in the past four years the rate has accelerated - and scientists have warned that if this continues, it will make it far harder to meet the Paris Agreement's goal of limiting the increase in global temperatures to below 2 degrees C.  What makes the rise alarming, say the authors of the new paper, is that no one is sure where the methane is coming from.  One theory is that warmer conditions in the tropics are causing more methane to be released from wetlands: in other words, we're in a feedback loop, says Euan Nisbet of Royal Holloway, University of London, in which "warming is feeding the warming".  Or it could be that "our atmosphere is losing its ability to break down methane.  Either way, we are facing a very worrying problem."

Carry on denying, deniers.  Those who want to believe you are relying on your scepticism.

• China has used more concrete in the last 3 years than the USA did in the whole of the last century.  Governments are doing a game of 'chase the queen' to confuse the people rather than point to the real causes of the problems - and of course, out of control population growth.

Feel free to recycle your tin foil hats.

• Meanwhile in the UK we are developing cement free concrete. But no one wants to use it because it's too expensive. Also, *unpopular opinion alert* we're already way too far gone past the point of keeping warming to 2oC (sorry, but we are) we just need to adapt to a changing climate.

• And wood is just 'young' coal - but we're not allowed to burn coal - but Germany is opening 6 new coal fired powerstations.  

• I live near a railway line that carries the freight trains full of wood chopped down in America, shipped to the UK, then travels by train from Liverpool to Drax power plant in Yorkshire. I know someone somewhere has worked out this is better than burning coal, but it still seems very odd to me. 

• And 80% of all quality hardwoods cut down in the Amazon go to make plywood for shuttering poured  concrete in China - which is then burned afterwards.  

But you remember to sort your cardboard & paper - or else!.  

Reply Children