Does everyone feel that you are not being taken seriously when you are talking to public bodies and NHS staff

Hi, I am currently seeking a late diagnosis and am in my 40s.

I get the feeling that they have seen it all before. And the care you receive is not personalised. Just a kinda this is what I do when someone says x.

I asked for an Adult social assessment because I am not diagnosed and need some help. And I was told that because I do not have an autism diagnosis they will not be sending a qualified person from the autistic team. I nearly bit my tongue in half. I'm glad I had it in an email.

According to care law, they are supposed to use someone qualified to assess you. I decided to go for the test.

What happened was not a care assessment but a community care plan. That looked at me being able to use my phone to make reminders. I am fuming. It was like talking to a brick wall. I had my support worker and he was stressed. I was taking too long to talk with my stutter.

Is this a normal frustration

Or some kind of autistic thing to always have people follow rules?

What are peoples take on this?

Did you get a social care assessment or something else?

Any advice welcome.

Parents
  • I'm also seeking a diagnosis later on in life (I'm 32). The first time I went to Doctors took a huge amount of energy. I was diagnosed with depression and sent away with antidepressants which I didn't take. Whilst trying to explain myself the doctor actually talked over me, he did this a lot - something you simply do not do. I eventually realised he wasn't truly listening, I don't think he really cared. I then went back to a different doctor with a list and bombarded him with symptoms, history and what I wanted - I didn't let him get a word in. I got my referral.

• The first time I went to Doctors took a huge amount of energy. I was diagnosed with depression and sent away with antidepressants which I didn't take.

Apart from my age, this is a very similar experience to mine.

I had been having memory problems far worse than normal, and was off work to stop me snapping at everyone (and a manager had told me she thought I had dementia!)  My GP diagnosed anxiety and depression, I had a blood test,was prescribed Vitamin D and antidepressants and put on a CBT course.  I am useless at taking medication, after taking the first tablets I forget to take them, and the CBT was only of minimal help.  My GP when I told him I thought I might be autistic told met that my local health authority did not have an adult referral pathway and in any case because of my age it obviously hadn't affected me too much!  This despite problems I'd had throughout my life.  Then he added that the waiting list was in excess of two years anyway.

I decided to go down the private route

• The first time I went to Doctors took a huge amount of energy. I was diagnosed with depression and sent away with antidepressants which I didn't take.

Apart from my age, this is a very similar experience to mine.

I had been having memory problems far worse than normal, and was off work to stop me snapping at everyone (and a manager had told me she thought I had dementia!)  My GP diagnosed anxiety and depression, I had a blood test,was prescribed Vitamin D and antidepressants and put on a CBT course.  I am useless at taking medication, after taking the first tablets I forget to take them, and the CBT was only of minimal help.  My GP when I told him I thought I might be autistic told met that my local health authority did not have an adult referral pathway and in any case because of my age it obviously hadn't affected me too much!  This despite problems I'd had throughout my life.  Then he added that the waiting list was in excess of two years anyway.

I decided to go down the private route

Children