Dairy free alternatives for autistic adults

Does anyone here now any cheap, sensory friendly  dairy alternatives for anyone with autism. My friend just like me has autism and (unlike me) is lactose intolerant, she only has a small income. She's stuggling both mentally and physically from this lack of finances for dairy free products. She desperately needs more alternatives. Any know what she can do ?

Parents
  • Not sure of the connection between autism and lactose-intolerance.  However, I use Aldi Soya Drink (apple juice sweetened) in place of dairy milk.  59p a litre is about as cheap as you'll get, and it tastes pretty good to me.

You can buy dairy-free cheeses in health food shops, but they're not cheap.  Also, there are plenty of dairy-free sweet things around: puddings, chocolate, ice cream (Swedish Glace is dairy-free and delicious), snack bars, etc.  Vitalite margarine is dairy-free and is £1.20 a tub in Morrison's.

• I found dairy-free cheese to be terrible - it's like salted glazing putty.  The Arla Lactofree milk is ok.

• The new coconut based ones are much better than the old soya based cheeses. They actually melt and are more similar to real cheese. But they aren't very healthy. It's best just to avoid dairy and dairy free alternatives. 

Reply Children
No Data