Getting depressed

Hello,

This is the first time I’ve posted on here so I hope I’m doing it right. I just wondered if anyone can give me any advice on how I can help my daughter please. She is 20 years old and has AS. We’ve always home-educated and unfortunately we don’t know many friends. At the moment my daughter is very unhappy because my brother’s wife has just had a baby (her first cousin). She’s always been close to her uncle although less since he married 2 years ago. My daughter finds changes difficult and she can’t accept the change of the baby. One problem is she doesn’t like her aunt, and another problem is her aunt and uncle live opposite us. My daughter feels she can't get away from her aunt and baby as they live so close to us. She is seeing a counsellor who helps a bit but I’m worried that she’s getting depressed and I don't know how to help her.

Does anyone have any advice on helping someone with depression? We don’t want her to take any medicine or anti-depressants because she’s had bad side effects from medicine in the past. 

I’d be grateful for any advice that anyone can give.

Many thanks

Parents
  • Hello and welcome, yes, you are more than welcome to post on here to ask for help with your daughter’s depression.

I would say that your daughter needs to try and spread her wings a little. I don’t mean leave home, but just a little more to think about other than her immediate surroundings.

Ambitious About Autism may be worth a look. They can offer work placements and other activities. Spectrum Women have a lot of articles about empowerment.

One of my nieces found that going to martial art classes helped with her depression, in fact she is now an instructor. Many on the spectrum find martial arts helpful. The keeping fit and learning correct breathing techniques help and it is a step into a little social activity.

If your daughter is academically minded, there are many free textbooks on a variety of subjects available from: https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks

All the best, Graham.

• Hello and welcome, yes, you are more than welcome to post on here to ask for help with your daughter’s depression.

I would say that your daughter needs to try and spread her wings a little. I don’t mean leave home, but just a little more to think about other than her immediate surroundings.

Ambitious About Autism may be worth a look. They can offer work placements and other activities. Spectrum Women have a lot of articles about empowerment.

One of my nieces found that going to martial art classes helped with her depression, in fact she is now an instructor. Many on the spectrum find martial arts helpful. The keeping fit and learning correct breathing techniques help and it is a step into a little social activity.

If your daughter is academically minded, there are many free textbooks on a variety of subjects available from: https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks

All the best, Graham.

Children