Visual Snow

Does anybody else see visual snow? I only just found out it's a thing, after I found out my support worker doesn't see air and then I found out that most people don't! 

I see tiny lights everywhere and can watch them for hours. They will help me get to sleep on a night, when  I'm not too hyper. Just wondered how many other people here, have this. 

Parents Reply Children
  • I constantly get rainbow hues at side of vision as well as a kind of visual delay when I move my head to quickly, when I start seeing spots I know a migrane is imminent so time to find a bucket ( damn nausea ) any way optometrist told me the rainbow effect was caused by astigmatism as the eyes weren't processing light as they should be 

• Its with me 24/7. The effect increases with extreme darkness but my night vision is superlative. With my eyes closed it looks like the 4th of July and an Apple screensaver had kids. Been this way since I was a small child and has been consistent throughout my life. Its is effected by sounds speech and patterns that I see (patterns have a tendency to wander off onto other objects like walls, surfaces, the sky). Objects in the foreground are outlined in pale auras, especially if against a bright background. In my world, there aren't and never have been solid blocks/areas of color. I can understand it academically but I have never experienced it. My vision is like a good computer game on a high quality monitor. I assumed everyone had this until I asked and found out they did not.

• It's a collection of symptoms and what you're describing is one of the symptoms and it has a name, I just can't remember the name.

I don't have that one regularly but when I used to get migraines and take a certain migraine tablet, it would switch off the pain but not the other migraine symptoms but the tablet knocks me out anyway so I just used to sleep it off.

Poor night vision is also part of it, which I have. Aching, heavy and tired eyes is another which I can see because as I've been looking at the light much more, recently, my eyes get that tired thing a lot more. I think it's because I'm looking at it more and it is more noticeable more of the time as well, even when I'm not consciously looking at it. I can see it most of the time now. But I like looking at it, but a lot of the people who have been part of the initial studies, a couple of years ago, don't like it and they actually want medication and a cure for it.

Some of the participants are kids and they experience it in the way I do which maybe relates to what DC was saying, that as autistic people we don't mature in the same way as others so maybe I've retained that childlike relationship to it. The kids love it, they chase the light around the room and sit watching it when they're in bed, it's really soothing.