The Gift that Keeps on Giving

One of the girls at my autism group spoke to me today, for the first time since I’ve been going there, which is over a year. I wasn’t sure if she could speak at all to be honest. I mean I knew she could, but I didn’t know how, if that makes sense. 

Anyway, I’ve always spoken to her. I’ve felt we’ve communicated, just not on a level you could detect, through the 5 senses. 

And today, she struck up a conversation with me and we got on like a house on fire (this was a few days ago now). I always loved her anyway, but we got on so well, that I feel I love her even more now. And she talks perfectly normal, so she clearly just needs to be comfortable with people first. And I get that. I’m the same. Only I don’t go quiet, I go loud and blunt.

It’s things like this that touch my soul and make my heart sing and keep me full of love for days and days. 

One of my other friends has always fancied this girl, although she recently got married, and I can see why now. I always knew she was lovely but it’s nice to share it with her. This autism group is like the gift that keeps on giving. I often have to force myself to go and often I don’t go, but I keep going back and I continue to experience the benefits more and more. Who thought I could get such joy from other people, in such simple ways, that are not over powering but way more powerful than surface level relationships. 

Parents Reply Children
No Data